Citroen Berlingo Multispace - best people carriers and MPVs
It's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
The Citroen Berlingo is getting on a bit – the current model has been around since 2008 with only a mild facelift to keep it fresh. But don’t let that put you off – if you’re after practical, easy-to-drive and great value family transport, it’s worth a look.
• Citroen Berlingo review
Once you get past the stigma of being seen in a van, you begin to appreciate the extra practicality that the Berlingo’s boxy body offers. There’s even an optional third row to turn it into a seven-seater, and twin side sliding doors make access easy. We're a fan of the Berlingo XL and gave it the prestigious honour of Auto Express MPV of the Year 2019.
The 2016 facelift introduced three engines to the Berlingo Multispace – two punchy diesels, and a 1.6-litre petrol. The old BlueHDi 75 unit was carried over, but with just 74bhp it’s worth avoiding in favour of the BlueHDi 100 or 120. Both of these offer decent performance and great running costs for what’s essentially a commercial vehicle.
The latest Berlingo also has a much improved interior over the pre-facelift car, with an optional touchscreen infotainment system – but it’s not as ergonomic as car-based rivals like the Ford C-MAX.Best people carriers and MPVs.
Best people carriers and MPVs
- 1IntroductionHere are the 10 best MPVs and people carriers to buy this year – all loaded with family-friendly features and lots of space
- 21. Citroen Berlingo Multispace - currently readingIt's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
- 32. Citroen C4 SpaceTourer/Grand C4 SpaceTourerThe Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
- 43. Renault Grand ScenicA total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
- 54. Ford S-MAXBased on the Mondeo, Ford’s seven-seater is still the best MPV to drive, and it’s impressively practical, too
- 65. Kia CarensKia's Carens MPV won't set the world alight with its design, but it makes a sound buy thanks to strong economy and a class leading warranty
- 76. Vauxhall Zafira TourerBigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
- 87. Ford C-MAX/Grand C-MAXOne of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
- 98. BMW 2 Series Active Tourer/Gran TourerGood-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
- 109. Ford Tourneo ConnectA van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
- 1110. SEAT AlhambraThe SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper