Honda Civic Type R - best performance cars
While the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
The name Type R strikes a chord with hot hatch fans across the world, and the latest Civic Type R is at the cutting edge of hot hatch tech. It doesn't seem that long ago that the last Type R was launched, and that's because it was so long in development. This time around, the Type R followed hot on the heels of the standard Civic hatchback to cash-in on sales as soon as possible.
Under the skin, the latest Civic Type R shares much with the last model. It has the same 2.0-litre turbo VTEC engine, front-wheel drive and six-speed manual gearbox, while the chassis has been honed to deliver an even sharper drive.
Proof of that can be seen in the car's Nurburgring lap record, which shaved seven seconds off the time set by its predecessor.
The Civic Type R is one of the sharpest handling hot hatches on sale. With 316bhp on tap and pricing starting from around £31,500, it’s difficult to go faster for less.
Top 10 best performance cars 2019
Top 10 best performance cars 2020
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability, the Porsche 911 is a tour-de-force in the performance car market
- 32. McLaren 570SAll the driving thrills you'd expect - the McLaren 570S is an amazingly capable supercar.
- 43. Aston Martin VantageThe Aston Martin Vantage is a supremely capable sports car - ready and able to take on the Porsche 911.
- 54. Ferrari F8 TributoThe F8 Tributo's huge technical ability makes performance on the limit easier to reach and control.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Alpine A110The lightweight Alpine A110 delivers a pure driving experience to go along with its quirky retro looks.
- 87. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven.
- 98. BMW M5 CompetitionThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 109. Honda Civic Type R - currently readingWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta STThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches