Honda Civic Type R - best performance cars
While the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
The name Type R strikes a chord with hot hatch fans across the world, and the latest Civic Type R is at the cutting edge of hot hatch tech. It doesn't seem that long ago that the last Type R was launched, and that's because it was so long in development. This time around, the Type R followed hot on the heels of the standard Civic hatchback to cash-in on sales as soon as possible.
Under the skin, the latest Civic Type R shares much with the last model. It has the same 2.0-litre turbo VTEC engine, front-wheel drive and six-speed manual gearbox, while the chassis has been honed to deliver an even sharper drive.
Proof of that can be seen in the car's Nurburgring lap record, which shaved seven seconds off the time set by its predecessor.
The Civic Type R is one of the sharpest handling hot hatches on sale. With 316bhp on tap and pricing starting from around £31,500, it’s difficult to go faster for less.
Top 10 best performance cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability this new Porsche 911 is a tour de force in the performance car market
- 32. Aston Martin DBS SuperleggeraAston Martin’s flagship amplifies everything that makes the DB11 special
- 43. Mclaren 600LT If you were one of the very few who thought the McLaren 570S wasn’t hardcore enough, meet the McLaren 600LT.
- 54. Ferrari 488 PistaThe combination of road-car and race car in the Pista make for a fabulous, yet focused supercar.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven
- 87. BMW M5 CompetitionThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 98. McLaren 720SMcLaren 720S supercar builds on the reputation of its 650 and 675 predecessors
- 109. Honda Civic Type R - currently readingWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta STThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches