Citroen C4 SpaceTourer - best people carriers and SUVs
The Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
Who said family transport has to look boring? The Citroen C4 SpaceTourer proves that even the most practical cars can be as eye-catching and desirable as anything else on the market. You might find yourself coveting one even if you’re single without a family to carry.
• Citroen C4 SpaceTourer review
The C4 SpaceTourer rides on Citroen's latest platform, giving far less body roll and more direct steering than the old car. It’s not enjoyable to drive per se, but it’s comfortable and refined.
Engine choices include some excellent petrol options, but most will go for one of the economical 1.6-litre diesels. The e-HDi 90 offers as much as 74.3mpg – amazing for such a big car.
The standard C4 Picasso is only a five-seater, but it’s a practical one, with genuine space for five adults with plenty of leg and head room. If you need more space, stretch to the Grand C4 SpaceTourer, which offers up two fairly roomy seats in the back.
Boot space is plentiful too, with 537 litres on offer, stretching to 1,709 litres with all the seats down.
Best people carriers and MPVs
- 1IntroductionHere are the 10 best MPVs and people carriers to buy this year – all loaded with family-friendly features and lots of space
- 21. Citroen Berlingo MultispaceIt's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
- 32. Citroen C4 SpaceTourer/Grand C4 SpaceTourer - currently readingThe Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
- 43. Renault Grand ScenicA total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
- 54. Ford S-MAXBased on the Mondeo, Ford’s seven-seater is still the best MPV to drive, and it’s impressively practical, too
- 65. Kia CarensKia's Carens MPV won't set the world alight with its design, but it makes a sound buy thanks to strong economy and a class leading warranty
- 76. Vauxhall Zafira TourerBigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
- 87. Ford C-MAX/Grand C-MAXOne of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
- 98. BMW 2 Series Active Tourer/Gran TourerGood-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
- 109. Ford Tourneo ConnectA van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
- 1110. SEAT AlhambraThe SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper