New Car Awards 2014: best city car
The Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
The remarkable Skoda Citigo is really on a roll, with a hat-trick of city car awards to its name. No matter how hard rivals have tried, they’ve failed to knock the Skoda off the top spot. So what makes this appealing little car so enduring?
As its name suggests, the Citigo takes to the crowded urban jungle like a duck to water. Compact dimensions, excellent visibility and an eager three-cylinder engine help you make the most of gaps in the traffic and park in tight spots.
What’s unexpected is the Skoda’s ability to take longer journeys in its stride. The nippy 1.0-litre engine is smooth and refined on the motorway, the cabin is well insulated from wind and road noise and the ride is supple.
Also playing their part are the excellent driving position and comfy seats, allowing you to arrive at your destination free of aches and pains. Another surprise is the Citigo’s family-friendly versatility. Yes it’s a strict four-seater, but there’s decent head and legroom for rear passengers.
And then there’s the boot, which at 251 litres shames many rivals from the class above. The big-car feel extends to the Skoda’s impressive tally of kit, which runs to luxuries including air-con, heated seats and Bluetooth, plus life-saving extras such as a low- speed collision avoidance system. And it’s great value for money, too, with prices starting at £7,000 and most models exempt from road tax.
Practical, refined, cost-effective to run and good to drive, the Citigo proves the best things come in small packages.
Citigo 1.0 75 Elegance GreenTech 5dr (£10,740)
It’s not the cheapest Citigo, but the range-topping Elegance model comes with the sort of big car kit that goes hand-in-hand with the little Skoda’s grown-up driving experience and exceptional refinement.
Commended city cars
The new i10 builds on the success of its capable predecessor, with handsome styling, a classy interior and low running costs. A generous five-year warranty brings peace of mind. It lacks the Skoda’s charm and sophistication, but the composed Hyundai i10 is still a great small car.
Toyota’s latest Aygo has been injected with some personality and style, plus it comes packed with big- car features. Yet at its core, it still delivers the same blend of reliability and low running costs. Its five-year warranty gives it the nod over sister cars the Peugeot 108 and Citroen C1.
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the Year - currently readingThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year The Porsche Macan is the 2014 Auto Express small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Range Rover Evoque commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year The Hyundai Santa Fe is the 2014 Auto Express large SUV of the Year, with the Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year The Volkswagen Amarok is the 2014 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and SsangYong Korando Sport commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and VW Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2014 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series Convertible and Porsche 911 Cab commended
- 16Coupe of the Year The Jaguar F-Type Coupe is the 2014 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series and Porsche Cayman commended
- 17Roadster of the YearThe Porsche Boxster is the 2014 Auto Express roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Mazda MX-5 commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year The McLaren 650S is the 2014 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the BMW M4 and Porsche 911 GT3 commended
- 19Best Compact Executive of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2014 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Lexus IS and Mercedes C-Classs commended
- 20Executive Car of the YearThe Audi A6 is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes CLS commended
- 21Luxury of the Year The Mercedes S-Class is the 2014 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Porsche Panamera and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year The Ford Transit is the 2014 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Mercedes Sprinter and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year The BMW i3 is the 2014 Auto Express Green of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Vauxhall Ampera commended
- 24Ad Campaign of the YearMercedes Intelligent Drive: ‘Chicken' ad is this year's winner for best advertising campaign
- 25Safety Award Nissan Safety Shield wins this year's Safety Award, part of the Auto Express New Car Awards 2014
- 26Design Award The Volvo Concept Estate wins this year's Auto Express Design Award, voted for by you
- 27Special Award Our annual Special Award for 2014 goes to Tesla for producing the fantastic Model S
- 28Hall of Fame As part of the annual Auto Express New Car Awards, here is our Hall of Fame for outstanding figures in motoring