Toyota Prius - best plug-in hybrid cars
The latest Toyota Prius is the best yet, and the same goes for the plug-in hybrid version
The fourth-generation Toyota Prius is better than ever, and the same is true of the latest plug-in (PHV) version. Ushering in a new look, upgraded underpinnings and even lower running costs, the Prius PHV is one of the most convincing plug-in cars on the market.
Despite rivals offering more power, the Prius has no trouble keeping up with faster moving vehicles on the road. If you’re gentle on the throttle and the batteries are charged, the PHV will progress quietly on electric power alone, seamlessly adding petrol power when you ask for extra shove.
Toyota claims a 39-mile EV range, and it can cruise on electricity at speeds of up to 84mph. The various drive modes allow you to prioritise battery power or charge them using the engine, while an optional solar roof can add around three miles of range on a sunny day.
Top 10 best plug-in hybrids to buy now
- 1IntroductionThe plug-in hybrid market has grown exponentially in recent years. Here are our top 10 electrified favourites.
- 2Mercedes E 300 deThe Mercedes E 300 de offers a familiar yet cost-effective alternative to mainstream company cars.
- 3Hyundai Ioniq PHEVThe Ioniq is available as a conventional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and an all out electric vehicle. But the plug-in is the best all-rounder
- 4BMW 530eThe BMW 530e will be cheaper to run than a regular 5 Series but it crucially doesn’t sacrifice driver engagement
- 5Volvo XC60 T8We gave the regular Volvo XC60 a five-star review so the plug-in hybrid T8 version has a great foundation for success
- 6Mercedes E 300 eThe plug-in hybrid Mercedes E 300 e emphasises all the great hallmarks of the regular E-Class with little drawbacks.
- 7Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid The latest Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid is a great all-rounder and is hard to fault in any single area.
- 8Kia Niro PHEVThe Niro PHEV isn’t the most interesting car to drive, but it’s easy to live with and there’s decent space on offer.
- 9Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVThe first plug-in SUV proved the formula worked, and boosted sales for the range
- 10Toyota Prius - currently readingThe latest Toyota Prius is the best yet, and the same goes for the plug-in hybrid version
- 11Range Rover P400eThe Range Rover P400e turns out to be a successful first attempt at a plug-in hybrid from Land Rover.