Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - best people carriers and MPVs
Bigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
The Vauxhall Zafira has been a staple of the MPV market since 1999, but the latest model really is a big step forward. The car has morphed from a dreadfully dull family bus into a genuinely classy and upmarket offering in the MPV sector.
The Zafira Tourer comes as standard with seven seats, which easily fold down to give a cavernous 1,860 litres in two-seat mode.
With all the seats up, there’s room for adults, and the optional ‘lounge’ seating allows you to give middle-row occupants a bit more shoulder room and luxury.
The Zafira Tourer underwent a bit of a facelift in 2016, giving it Vauxhall’s latest ‘family face’ and, crucially, a vastly improved interior with a large touchscreen in place of the swathes of buttons that the old car offered.
Engines have been upgraded too, and most people will opt for the excellent 1.6-litre ‘Whisper’ diesel. Whisper it does not, but by diesel standards it’s quiet, refined and pretty powerful. That engine also allows nearly 63mpg fuel economy – excellent for such a big, heavy car.
If you need more power there’s also a 2.0-litre CDTi, and petrol fans can opt for a 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol, though both of these see economy and emissions suffer.
Best people carriers and MPVs
In this review
- 1IntroductionHere are the 10 best MPVs and people carriers to buy this year – all loaded with family-friendly features and lots of space
- 21. Citroen Berlingo MultispaceIt's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
- 32. Citroen C4 SpaceTourer/Grand C4 SpaceTourerThe Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
- 43. Renault Grand ScenicA total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
- 54. Ford S-MAXBased on the Mondeo, Ford’s seven-seater is still the best MPV to drive, and it’s impressively practical, too
- 65. Kia CarensKia's Carens MPV won't set the world alight with its design, but it makes a sound buy thanks to strong economy and a class leading warranty
- 76. Vauxhall Zafira Tourer - currently readingBigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
- 87. Ford C-MAX/Grand C-MAXOne of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
- 98. BMW 2 Series Active Tourer/Gran TourerGood-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
- 109. Ford Tourneo ConnectA van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
- 1110. SEAT AlhambraThe SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper