Volvo XC90 D5 Momentum - Best diesels
The XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
The Volvo XC90 is a former Auto Express Car of the Year, and it's still a great seven-seat family car.
That’s largely thanks to the XC90’s trailblazing combination of technology, efficiency and safety. The big Volvo is also a refreshing antidote to all the German brands that are so effective in the SUV sector, thanks to the ‘lighter touch’ of its Scandinavian design.
The XC90 boasts family-friendly practicality, while its array of technology includes energy-absorbing seats, City Safety auto-braking, Queue Assist and a self-parking mode.
There are punchy petrol and eco-focused hybrid versions of the XC90 available (incidentally all using ‘downsized’ 2.0-litre four-cylinder engines) but as we’re talking diesels for this feature, we’re here to sing the praises of the XC90 D5 Momentum. It gets a 235bhp twin-turbo 2.0-litre four, which offers reasonable performance and efficiency, while sounding impressively refined and cultured in spite of its small-ish capacity. It will also return 47.3mpg, which isn’t at all bad for a full-size SUV.
Best diesel cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionCovering all the bases, here's our view on the best diesel cars to have on your shortlist if you're buying a car in 2020
- 2Renault Megane dCi 115The Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
- 3Vauxhall Insignia GSThe Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
- 4BMW 320dBMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
- 5Mercedes S 350 dMassive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
- 6Volvo XC90 D5 Momentum - currently readingThe XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
- 7Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDIThe Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
- 8Honda Civic i-DTECSmooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
- 9Range Rover SDV6 VogueThe Range Rover mixes incredible refinement with go anywhere off-road capability, especially with the V6 diesel
- 10BMW 520dThe 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
- 11Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDiThe Peugeot 3008’s bold looks, funky interior and efficient diesel engines make it hugely appealing