Ford C-MAX - best people carriers and MPVs
One of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
The Ford C-MAX is the second in Ford’s four-strong MPV line-up, sitting in between the B-MAX and the S-MAX, and like all the others, it’s a good-looking car, from the bold front grille back. The latest facelift means the interior is much improved, too, adding a large touchscreen and Ford’s SYNC3 system.
The C-MAX is based on the Focus – still our favourite of the standard family hatchbacks when it comes to driving pleasure. That’s why the C-MAX is such a pleasure to drive – sharp steering, punchy engines and suspension that strikes a perfect balance between comfort and sporty handling.
Whether you’re driving alone or fully loaded up, the C-MAX is solid on the motorway and remarkably fun on a back road. It really does make fine-driving rivals like the Citroen C4 SpaceTourer feel like bags full of jelly by comparison.
Engine choice is wide-ranging, with everything from a 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol to a 2.0-litre TDCi diesel. The type of journey you do will affect your engine choice – short journeys would be best served by a petrol unit, and the diesels are great for long motorway trips.
The C-MAX isn’t the most spacious of MPVs, and the seven-seat Grand C-MAX is really an occasional seven-seater at best. But that shouldn’t be a problem for most, and there’s plenty of room for a growing family.
Best people carriers and MPVs
- 1IntroductionHere are the 10 best MPVs and people carriers to buy this year – all loaded with family-friendly features and lots of space
- 21. Citroen Berlingo MultispaceIt's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
- 32. Citroen C4 SpaceTourer/Grand C4 SpaceTourerThe Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
- 43. Renault Grand ScenicA total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
- 54. Ford S-MAXBased on the Mondeo, Ford’s seven-seater is still the best MPV to drive, and it’s impressively practical, too
- 65. Kia CarensKia's Carens MPV won't set the world alight with its design, but it makes a sound buy thanks to strong economy and a class leading warranty
- 76. Vauxhall Zafira TourerBigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
- 87. Ford C-MAX/Grand C-MAX - currently readingOne of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
- 98. BMW 2 Series Active Tourer/Gran TourerGood-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
- 109. Ford Tourneo ConnectA van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
- 1110. SEAT AlhambraThe SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper