1. Honda Accord: The Cog
A cog rolls gently down a wooden plank, knocking into a larger cog. It sets off an incredible chain reaction in which a huge array of Accord parts knock, roll or swing into each other. Every interaction is completed with perfect precision – with each component hitting the next with the minimum amount of force required for it to keep the chain moving. It ends with a fully constructed Accord gently rolling down a metal plank, while the voiceover says: “Isn’t it nice when things just work?”
The expert view
“This changed the perception of Honda and its drivers, and it’s so watchable you don’t want it to end. A classic way to judge someone else’s ads is to ask: ‘Do I wish I’d done that and do I want to watch it again?’ My answer is yes.”
Watch the video below to find out how the ad was made:
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog - currently reading
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car
- 12Audi A4: Not my styleThe star here is a cocky yuppie. He is shown test-driving an A4, interspersed with shots of him playing squash and barking orders on a trading floor.
- 13VW Golf: Best left alone" It is a classic, iconic-looking car."
- 14Nissan Almera: Sweeney
- 15Toyota: A car to be proud of"Simply funny."