Hyundai Ioniq - best low emissions green cars
Whether you want an EV, plug-in or hybrid, the Hyundai Ioniq has all bases covered
While some car makers have put all their eggs in one basket by choosing either hybrid, plug-in or EV options for their low-emissions models, Hyundai has gone for a three-pronged approach with the Ioniq. It's available as a petrol-electric hybrid, a plug-in with extra range or a pure EV.
The hybrid versions feature a 1.6-litre petrol engine with electric motor and battery pack, while the plug-in version can travel a claimed 30 miles on electric power alone. These figures aren't quite as good as the Prius, but when you consider the longer development period the Japanese car has had, it makes the Ioniq's figures all the more impressive.
The EV version is bigger than the Nissan, so there's more space inside, while the big battery gives the Ioniq EV a claimed range of over 170 miles, which isn't quite on a par with the Leaf, but still reasonable. Power comes from a 118bhp electric motor, making it the least powerful of the three Ioniqs, but with instant torque from a standstill, it's the fastest to accelerate, although a 0-62mph time just under 10 seconds is hardly Tesla-esque.
Where the Ioniq excels is with its comfort. It's quiet and refined, whichever version you choose, and is a perfect cruiser around town with plenty of standard kit on board.
Best green cars 2019
- 1IntroductionLow emissions and good fuel economy go hand-in-hand - here are 10 cars that deliver low everyday running costs
- 21. BMW i3You can have zero emissions with the all-electric i3, or there's a petrol range extender, too
- 32. Toyota PriusToyota’s Prius is the car that popularised hybrid technology and the latest model shows how far it’s come
- 43. Jaguar I-PaceThe I-Pace electric SUV puts Jaguar in the driving seat of efficient yet upmarket motoring
- 54. VW Passat GTEThe Volkswagen Passat GTE delivers the perfect combination of driving thrills and low emissions
- 65. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 CDTi ecoFLEXThe Vauxhall Astra 1.6 CDTi ecoFLEX offers cheap running costs and low emissions
- 76. Nissan LeafNissan Leaf was one of the pioneering electric cars, and the Mk2 is better than ever
- 87. Volvo XC60 T8The Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine combines an electric motor, plug-in battery and 2.0-litre petrol engine
- 98. Tesla Model SWho said electric cars have to be dull? The Tesla Model S is a green car with some fire in its belly
- 109. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVMitsubishi’s hybrid Outlander PHEV sets the standard for SUV efficiency.
- 1110. Hyundai Ioniq - currently readingWhether you want an EV, plug-in or hybrid, the Hyundai Ioniq has all bases covered