Renault Grand Scenic - best people carriers and MPVs
A total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
If there was ever a case of an ugly duckling turning into a swan, the new Renault Scenic is it. It’s abandoned the traditional MPV template for one more inspired by SUVs and crossovers, but that hasn’t compromised the space inside. There are two options on offer – the standard Scenic or the larger, seven-seat Grand Scenic.
The Scenic is based on the new Megane, and it’s inherited that car’s great interior. It’s dominated by a portrait-orientated touchscreen, which controls most of the car’s major functions. The whole interior is slick and well built, with comfortable and supportive seats.
There’s plenty of room in the middle row for adults, but the rearmost two seats aren’t especially spacious. Still, fold them flat and you’ve got a spacious 596-litre boot.
The Scenic isn’t too bad in the corners, but the standard-fit 20-inch wheels contribute to an unsettled ride. There are no options for smaller wheels, either, so the posh alloy wheels could be expensive to repair should you curb them.
Engine choices are the same staples as found across the Renault/Nissan range, and most will plump for the 1.5 or 1.6 diesels. They offer great fuel economy, and make the Scenic and Grand Scenic really cost-effective to run.
Best people carriers and MPVs
- 1IntroductionHere are the 10 best MPVs and people carriers to buy this year – all loaded with family-friendly features and lots of space
- 21. Citroen Berlingo MultispaceIt's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
- 32. Citroen C4 SpaceTourer/Grand C4 SpaceTourerThe Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
- 43. Renault Grand Scenic - currently readingA total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
- 54. Ford S-MAXBased on the Mondeo, Ford’s seven-seater is still the best MPV to drive, and it’s impressively practical, too
- 65. Kia CarensKia's Carens MPV won't set the world alight with its design, but it makes a sound buy thanks to strong economy and a class leading warranty
- 76. Vauxhall Zafira TourerBigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
- 87. Ford C-MAX/Grand C-MAXOne of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
- 98. BMW 2 Series Active Tourer/Gran TourerGood-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
- 109. Ford Tourneo ConnectA van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
- 1110. SEAT AlhambraThe SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper