Skoda Citigo/Volkswagen up! – cheapest cars to insure
The Skoda Citigo and Volkswagen up! are great small cars, and both undercut their Spanish sister car, the SEAT Mii, for insurance groups
Unlike the SEAT Mii the Skoda Citigo and Volkswagen up! can sit in group 1 for insurance. For the Skoda, the 59bhp 1.0-litre petrol engine in S, SE and Monte Carlo trim qualify for group 1, while only the entry level VW Take up! qualifies. There is the option of the more powerful 74bhp 1.0-litre engine if you opt for the Citigo in SE L trim, but the insurance is pushed up to group 2.
Equipment on entry-level Citigo models is pretty basic, but there are plenty of options and a range of trim levels to help ensure you can get a car with all the goodies you could want. The Take up! is in a similar position, with kit limited to electric front windows, ESC and SD card reader.
The thing that really sets the Skoda and VW apart from their rivals though is their driving experience. As a result of their tiny dimensions and easy to use controls, drivers can have an excellent time at the helm of either one while also getting about in relative comfort. The Citigo and up! are so good in fact that both have previously won the Auto Express City Car of the Year award.
Cheapest cars to insure 2019
Click the tabs on the top left of this page or the links below for full details on the cheapest cars to insure in the UK at the moment.
- 1IntroductionAfter a car that’s cheap to insure? Here are the cheapest cars to insure in the UK from group 1 to group 3
- 2Ford Ka+ 1.2The Ka+ sits below the Fiesta and owes much of its design language to its big brother, although importantly, it is cheaper to buy
- 3Hyundai i10 1.0Like some of its competition the Hyundai i10 has grown up, while still retaining its ease of driving
- 4Nissan Micra 1.0A new modern face may be on the new Micra, but the same low running costs have remained
- 5Skoda Citigo/Volkswagen up! - currently readingThe Skoda Citigo and Volkswagen up! are great small cars, and both undercut their Spanish sister car, the SEAT Mii, for insurance groups
- 6Volkswagen Polo 1.0The new VW Polo is bigger than ever before, and brings a touch of class to the small car segment