Skoda Enyaq iV review
The all-electric Skoda Enyaq iV family SUV is practical and easy-to-use, with a good range and useful charging ability
The Enyaq iV is Skoda’s first fully electric car, so it’s important for it to be able to convince family buyers that the move to battery power will fit seamlessly into their busy lives. Does it deliver? Absolutely, yes. The Enyaq iV is most definitely still a Skoda at heart, with great usable space, robust build quality and decent levels of kit making it an appealing choice.
Impressive levels of on-board technology and excellent safety features just add to a very convincing family package, while any concerns about making the move to electric drive should be eased when you take into account the Enyaq iV’s fast charging options and reliable range.
About the Skoda Enyaq iV
With Skoda having built its reputation on producing affordable, family-friendly cars, it perhaps seems fitting that the Skoda Enyaq iV, the Czech firm’s first all-electric offering, is a large, practical SUV.
Based on the Volkswagen Group’s MEB platform, the Enyaq iV is pretty similar under the skin to a VW ID.4 or an Audi Q4 e-tron, while the same architecture is also used for the ID.3 and Cupra Born models. The Enyaq, however, will be the first to be built outside Germany, at Skoda’s home factory in the Czech Republic.
Buyers looking for an all-electric family car are becoming increasingly spoilt for choice and the Enyaq iV not only has to compete with rivals from its own stable, but also has to persuade customers away from the likes of the capable Kia e-Niro and more premium Mercedes EQA. The eye-catching Hyundai Ioniq 5 and sporty-looking Kia EV6 aren’t just style without substance, either, as both offer practical space together with excellent range and charging capabilities.
Skoda has kept the Enyaq iV range pretty simple to understand, with two battery sizes available: the 58kWh iV 60 and 77kWh iV 80. The smaller battery model produces 177bhp via a rear-mounted electric motor powering the rear wheels, while the 201bhp iV 80 is also rear-wheel-drive.
The manufacturer claims a range of 256 miles for the iV 60 and 331 miles for the iV 80. If you’re looking for the reassurance of all-wheel-drive, the 261bhp iV 80X should fit the bill, although it costs almost £4,000 over the RWD variant and range from a single charge falls slightly to 303 miles.
There is more choice when it comes to deciding on the look and feel of the Enyaq iV’s interior. Skoda offers five individual ‘Design Selections’ to help personalise the cabin: Loft, Lodge, Lounge, Suite and ECO Suite - each using different materials to create a distinctive style. Loft is included as standard at no extra cost, while you’ll find the others on the options list priced from around £500 (Lodge) to £1,500 (ECO Suite). The iV 80 and 80X models feature a SportLine specification which brings a sportier look to the exterior.
The entry-level Enyaq iV 60 model qualifies for the government’s £2,500 plug-in car grant, so you’ll pay just over £32,000 to put one on your drive. After that, things get a little more expensive with the iV 80 variant starting at over £39,000 and the iV 80X in excess of £46,000.
If you're looking to buy a Skoda, why not visit our sister site buyacar.co.uk for the latest deals...
In this review
- 1Verdict - currently readingThe all-electric Skoda Enyaq iV family SUV is practical and easy-to-use, with a good range and useful charging ability
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Enyaq iV prioritises comfort over performance, although the top-spec 80X model is pretty rapid for a family SUV
- 3Range, charging and running costsWith usable, real-world range, competitive insurance costs and strong residual values, the Enyaq iV should prove to be reasonably cheap to run
- 4Interior, design and technologyWith striking looks and a cabin full of the latest tech, the Enyaq iV is a new breed of stylish Skoda
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceFamily journeys should be a breeze in the Skoda Enyaq iV, as it offers all the space and practical features you need
- 6Reliability and safetySkoda has a strong reputation for building safe, dependable cars, which adds to the appeal of the Enyaq iV family SUV