Tesla Model X review - Reliability and safety
Excellent safety rating is reassuring, although warranty coverage could be better
The Tesla Model X is based on the Model S, which stormed to overall victory in our 2016 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey – so it’s likely to be a very good car to own. The Model S won seven categories in that poll, with owners particularly impressed by its in-car tech and running costs. However, neither the brand nor the Model X featured in our 2020 surveys.
Safety kit includes side collision avoidance tech, automatic emergency braking, blind spot warning and parking sensors. There’s also ISOFIX child seat mounting points inside for car seats. Tesla also includes Autopilot software with the car, which helps drive the car on motorways for you.
The Tesla Model X was tested by Euro NCAP in 2019 and it was awarded a full five-star rating. As well as a notable 98% score for adult occupant safety, it scored an impressive 94% for its driver assist systems. The individual scores for child occupant and pedestrian protection were 81% and 72%, respectively.
While the 8-year, 150,000-mile warranty for the Model X’s battery and drive unit is reassuring, the four-year, 50,000-mile warranty on the rest of the car is disappointing. Many drivers will cover that mileage in four years, leaving them with a car out of warranty that most garages around the country can’t repair. They may end up paying high prices at Tesla dealers, but that said, Tesla claims to run its service centres at cost, and not for profit.
In this review
- 1Tesla Model X reviewIf you want a ludicrously quick crossover with all-electric drive and funny doors, the Tesla Model X is it
- 2Engines, performance and driveIncredible performance and tidy handling, but not very exciting
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsNo fuel costs to worry about, but charging infrastructure is still being built up
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe styling isn’t as cohesive as that of the Model S, though the interior is smart
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceVersatile and spacious, the Model X is one of the most practical EVs out there
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingExcellent safety rating is reassuring, although warranty coverage could be better