Toyota GR Yaris review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
It’s not cheap to buy, but the GR Yaris offers decent economy for a performance model and holds onto its value well
It’s probably fair to say that most buyers looking towards the GR Yaris are not going to be too concerned with fuel economy and overall efficiency. Customers are more likely to be enthusiasts with a stronger interest in lap times than mpg figures.
But, the GR Yaris shouldn’t be too costly to run as it’s capable of around 34mpg on the combined cycle, which is comparable to the Ford Focus ST and Honda Civic Type R. It’s worth remembering, however, that if you’re intent on exploiting the car’s full performance then you’ll see a marked drop-off in this economy figure. CO2 emissions of 186g/km also mean you’re unlikely to see many company car fleets taking on a GR Yaris.
Part of the tech that Toyota has engineered into the GR includes a revised direct fuel-injection system that helps to maintain economy and keeps emissions down, while a stop-start function is standard on all cars.
Insurance groups of 35-36 reflect the high performance nature and desirability of the GR Yaris. The ratings are at a similar level to those of the Fiesta ST Performance Edition in group 30 and the Civic Type R in group 38.
The bespoke nature of the GR Yaris and how well it has been received, particularly in the UK, means that residual values should remain buoyant. Current data suggests that after a typical three-year/36,000-mile ownership period, the three-door hot hatch should keep around 55% of its original list price.
In this review
- 1Toyota GR Yaris reviewDeveloped as a ‘World Rally Car for the road’, the Toyota GR Yaris is no ordinary supermini
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe GR Yaris is able to cover ground with spectacular pace and agility
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costs - currently readingIt’s not cheap to buy, but the GR Yaris offers decent economy for a performance model and holds onto its value well
- 4Interior, design and technologyAlthough the cabin is a little plain, Toyota’s commitment to designing a proper driver’s car is clearly evident in the GR Yaris
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceDespite being a point-to-point weapon, the GR Yaris still offers useful practical features
- 6Reliability and safetyThe thorough engineering approach taken with the GR Yaris and Toyota’s excellent reputation for reliability should give peace of mind