New Car Awards 2014: best pick-up truck
The Volkswagen Amarok is the 2014 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and SsangYong Korando Sport commended
In the rough-and-tumble world of pick-up trucks, the rugged Volkswagen Amarok still stands head and shoulders above its rivals. For the third year in a row, the versatile Volkswagen has squared up to the competition and carried off a coveted Auto Express New Car Award.
How has it achieved this impressive feat? It’s simple, really: by combining the relentless work ethic of a commercial vehicle with the kerb appeal of a desirable SUV, the Volkswagen is essentially two cars rolled into one.
For instance, the wide load bay will comfortably swallow a Euro pallet, plus it’s lined with a no-nonsense hose-down floor material. There’s also the option of a 4MOTION all-wheel-drive transmission, meaning you’ll never get stuck on a muddy building site. Yet for buyers wanting a little more luxury, the Amarok’s classy cabin and civilised driving experience will be the real clincher.
Unlike its competitors, the spacious double-cab interior is packed with top-notch materials, while the switchgear is carried over from the brand’s Polo and Golf. Better still, the major controls are no more demanding to use than those of a standard family hatchback.
Sure, the 2.0-litre diesel isn’t the last word in refinement, but it delivers decent performance and economy, while the optional eight-speed auto box serves up smooth shifts – the standard six-speed manual has a meaty and precise change. The truck rides well, too, soaking up bumps that would send a shudder through less talented rivals.
Positive steering and composed handling complete the high-riding Volkswagen’s list of towering talents, and confirm its place at the top of the pick-up tree.
Volkswagen Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4MOTION Highline BM Tech (£30,869)
Upmarket Highline trim gives the Amarok a real SUV feel, as does grippy 4MOTION all-wheel drive. Twin-turbo diesel is gruff, but provides strong pace and decent economy.
Commended pick-up trucks
Ford Ranger 2.2 TDCi XLT
Tough, great value and good to drive, the Ford Ranger is still a top truck choice. It also benefits from a vast load bay, a spacious cabin and plenty of equipment fitted as standard.
Only a firm ride and vocal diesel engine prevent it taking the title in this year’s New Car Awards.
SsangYong Korando Sports
In the hard-fought commercial class, vehicles have to make financial sense to succeed, so it’s hard not to be impressed by the SsangYong’s rock-bottom price. Yet a decent drive, long kit list and huge load bay mean the Korando Sports is so much more than a bargain-basement special.
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year The Porsche Macan is the 2014 Auto Express small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Range Rover Evoque commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year The Hyundai Santa Fe is the 2014 Auto Express large SUV of the Year, with the Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year - currently readingThe Volkswagen Amarok is the 2014 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and SsangYong Korando Sport commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and VW Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2014 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series Convertible and Porsche 911 Cab commended