Volvo S90 review - Reliability and safety
Volvo has an excellent safety record, while the S90 should prove to be reliable
Volvo’s reputation for safety is pretty much the best in the entire car industry, and the sister car to the S90, the XC90 SUV, racked up a record score when it was crash-tested by legislative body Euro NCAP. The S90 earned a five-star Euro NCAP score in 2017, and although its percentage score was lower than the XC90's at 95%, you'd hardly call it poor.
The S90 has a number of features which try to prevent a crash from happening in the first place. The extensive list of standard safety kit includes Pilot Assist, which can keep the car in its lane and at a safe distance from the car in front at speeds of up to 80mph, and large animal detection, which was originally designed for elk and moose, but is also said to be effective at spotting deer emerging from the side of a dark road.
The S90 has yet to appear in the Driver Power survey - and isn't likely to thanks to its low sales numbers - but the Volvo XC60, which shares electronics and engines with the saloon, came a respectable 30th in the 2020 survey. Owners praised its safety kit, comfort and reliability, which are all traits that the S90 should carry over.
Volvo's warranty cover lasts three years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes soonest. That's not quite a match for BMW's offering, though, which lasts for three years too but drops the mileage limit. At least Volvo offers extensions to its warranty; you can add a year and a further 20,000 miles.
The S90’s servicing intervals are 12 months; the work required alternates between interim and major services. Volvo offers a monthly scheme that allows you to spread the bill on an interest-free basis.
In this review
- 1Volvo S90 reviewThe Volvo S90 is a handsome and well-equipped rival to German exec models, but is not quite as good to drive
- 2Engines, performance and driveExcellent cruising refinement, but the chassis feels either too stiff or too soft. Larger wheels dent ride quality, too
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe S90 T8 hybrid will provide low running costs, but you need to keep the battery charged up to make the most of it
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe S90 is a stylish premium executive saloon, with distinctive looks and a quality feel
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe S90's boot isn't the biggest in the class, but capable enough for most needs
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingVolvo has an excellent safety record, while the S90 should prove to be reliable