BMW M3 GT4
Got a spare £120,000 lying around? This could be the BMW for you
There's never been a more successful manufacturer at the Nurburgring 24-hr race than BMW - taking 114 class wins over the course of the event's 29-year history. And that run looks set to continue in 2009!
Homologated for the FIA GT4 class, as its name suggests, the stripped out and sharpened up M3 is being readied for its debut at the German endurance race at the end of May, where British driver Andy Priaulx will take the helm.
The high-revving 414bhp 4.0-litre V8 from the road car will remain untouched, but thanks to a sparce cabin, racing suspension and the use of lighter but stronger materials for many of the components, 380kg has been cut from the kerbweight so it should be nimbler in the corners and more potent in a straight line. But performance like this doesn't come cheap, expect to pay BMW £120,000 for the privilege of owning one.
In this review
- 1IntroductionFrom road car to racer, we take a look at some of the fastest track specials
- 2Audi R8 LMSFastest-ever V10-powered R8 is the ultimate off-the-shelf racer
- 3Aston Martin V12 VantageStunning V12 Vantage goes endurance racing – with Aston Martin boss behind the wheel!
- 4Maserati GranTurismo MC4Ultimate gentleman racer goes as well as it looks
- 5VW Scirocco CNGRace-prepared Scirocco ditches petrol power in favour of natural gas
- 6Subaru Impreza STISubaru's STI performance division prepares a track-only Impreza
- 7BMW M3 GT4 - currently readingGot a spare £120,000 lying around? This could be the BMW for you
- 8Nissan GT-R GT1How does a Nissan GT-R with 600bhp and rear-wheel drive sound?
- 9Renaultsport Megane TrophyIncredible Renaultsport racer features mid-mounted V6 and gullwing doors
- 10Lexus LF-AMighty Lexus supercar will hit the road at the Nurburgring 24hr race
- 11BMW Alpina B6 GT3Alpina hits the track with this storming BMW 6-Series-based special
- 12Porsche 911 GT3 RSRThe original road-car-turned-racer returns – and it's meaner than ever!
- 13Ferrari F430 ScuderiaEx-Schumey-developed supercar heads for battle in the GT3 championship