Ferrari 488 Pista - Best track day cars
Ferrari makes the 488 more exciting by removing weight and adding power
No other brand has a mystique around it like Ferrari, and its mid-engined V8-powered models are the ones that have the track in mind. The latest model is the 488 Pista, which is a lighter, faster and more focused version of the 488 GTB.
There's 90kg stripped out of the car, thanks in part to new titanium parts in the engine (50 per cent of the engine is new when compared to the GTB) and a lightweight exhaust system, while these updates push power up to a faintly ridiculous 710bhp. There's 770Nm of torque, too, which is available from low revs to give the Pista a broad torquey power delivery. Despite this, the Pista still redlines at 8,000rpm, and the F1-style twin-clutch gearbox delivers the fastest shifts yet from a Ferrari road car.
The chassis has been honed to perfection, but with switchable adaptive dampers you can make the Pista as focused for the track or as comfortable for the road as you like.
With cars such as the 430 Scuderia and 360 Challenge in its history books, the 488 Pista more than lives up to its branding as the ultimate track-focused raodgoing Ferrari.
Best track day cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWhether you're looking to shave tenths off your lap time, or simply want to have some fun, these are the best UK's best track cars
- 21. Porsche 911 GT3 RSThere is no denying that our favourite track day car is one for the more wealthy track day drivers, but the stunningly engineered Porsche 911 GT3 RS is worth every penny.
- 32. Caterham SevenThe Caterham Seven allows you to enjoy the simple pleasures of driving.
- 43. Ferrari 488 Pista - currently readingFerrari makes the 488 more exciting by removing weight and adding power
- 54. McLaren SennaIf you name a car after one of the greatest racing drivers that ever lived, it had better be good. And the Senna is
- 65. Lamborghini Huracan PerformanteAt nearly twice the price of the Porsche 911 GT3 you would expect the Huracan Performante to offer an incredible driving experience, and on many levels it does.
- 76. McLaren 570S Track PackThe McLaren 570S Track Pack gets a range of add-ons designed to deliver the ultimate performance on track.
- 87. Porsche Cayman GTS Sublime handling balance, communicative controls and a stunning engine, the Cayman GTS is a car you’ll want to lap around a track all day.
- 98. Honda Civic Type RAs many petrolheads are aware, Honda has a history of making VTEC performance engines that deliver their best hit of power at the top end of the rev range.
- 109. Hyundai i30 NIt was not that long ago that Hyundai was knocking out dreary model after dreary model reserved for people who’s idea of excitement is a homemade Weetabix smoothie
- 1110. Ariel AtomPowered by a mid-mounted Honda Civic engine, the Atom feels like a big go-kart due to its exposed skeletal chassis.