Ford Transit Custom - best medium panel vans
Sitting below the iconic Ford Transit in Ford’s LCV line-up, the Transit Custom replicates many of that model’s strengths
Want proof that the latest vans offer a car-like experience from behind the wheel? Then look no further than the Ford Transit Custom. The Custom lines up between the full-size Transit and smaller Connect, and an update in 2018 saw it get the kind of tech that would've been unheard of even a decade ago.
Top-spec vans feature Ford's SYNC3 infotainment, with touchscreen sat-nav, voice control and a host of connectivity options. If you drive a new Ford car, then you'll be more than familiar with this tech, as it's the same as you get in the latest Focus or Fiesta.
There's a familiar look outside, too, with the Transit Custom gaining a smart looking grille and daytime running lights up front. Go for a Transit Custom Sport, and you get vivid colours, sporty stripes and a set of diamond-cut alloy wheels, too.
But this new tech doesn't come at the expense of practicality. Ford offers two lengths and a high-roof option, while the Double Cab in Van offers huge carrying ability for a family of five on the move. And if you need more seats, there's the Tourneo Custom to consider, too.
Best medium panel vans 2019
- 1IntroductionCompetition in the medium sized van sector is fierce. Here we rank the runners and riders...
- 21. Ford Transit Custom - currently readingSitting below the iconic Ford Transit in Ford’s LCV line-up, the Transit Custom replicates many of that model’s strengths
- 32. Volkswagen TransporterThe VW Transporter is a classy customer that brings Volkswagen passenger car build quality to the LCV segment
- 43. Renault TraficThe Renault Trafic delivers the goods with a big load area and efficient engines
- 54. Vauxhall VivaroA new Vivaro is on the way using all-new tech from the PSA Group
- 65. Nissan NV300It shares lots with the Renault Trafic, although the NV300 has a five-year warranty, too
- 76. Citroen DispatchThe Dispatch offers car-like tech in a medium-sized van body
- 87. Fiat TalentoSpace, pace and efficiency are highlights of the Talento's, er, talents
- 98. Peugeot ExpertAlongside its Citroen counterpart, the Expert offers car tech in a van package
- 109. Mercedes VitoThe Vito trades on the prestige of the Mercedes badge, and is a comfortable van to drive
- 1110. Toyota ProaceToyota enters the mid-sized van class with its take on the Peugeot/Citroen van formula