Honda Civic i-DTEC - Best diesels
Smooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
While Honda's most recent foray into Formula One hasn't had the success of past glories, the Japanese carmaker still has a formidable reputation when it comes to road car engines.
It built that success on its screaming VTEC petrol engines first, but its i-DTEC diesels have received critical acclaim for their power, refinement and of course economy. The latest Honda Civic didn't have a diesel to start off with, but that was remedied in 2017 with the arrival of the 1.6 i-DTEC 120PS motor.
It adds decent performance, with a 0-62mph time of 9.8 seconds for the 118bhp unit, while economy is quoted at 62.8mpg. Add an emissions rating of 93g/km, and this is an attractive hatchback for company car buyers.
But the rest of the Civic package is tempting, too. While the infotainment isn't the best, there's good build quality, plenty of kit and a decent drive, while families will relish the amount of space on offer.
Best diesel cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionCovering all the bases, here's our view on the best diesel cars to have on your shortlist if you're buying a car in 2020
- 2Renault Megane dCi 115The Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
- 3Vauxhall Insignia GSThe Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
- 4BMW 320dBMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
- 5Mercedes S 350 dMassive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
- 6Volvo XC90 D5 MomentumThe XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
- 7Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDIThe Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
- 8Honda Civic i-DTEC - currently readingSmooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
- 9Range Rover SDV6 VogueThe Range Rover mixes incredible refinement with go anywhere off-road capability, especially with the V6 diesel
- 10BMW 520dThe 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
- 11Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDiThe Peugeot 3008’s bold looks, funky interior and efficient diesel engines make it hugely appealing