Mercedes GLC review - Reliability and safety
A huge amount of safety kit and strong Euro NCAP results mean the GLC offers great protection
The GLC didn't appear in our 2020 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, although Mercedes itself finished a disappointing 28th out of 30 manufacturers. High running costs, including servicing and insurance premiums were an issue for some customers.
All GLCs get ESP with Dynamic Cornering Assist, Crosswind Assist and Collision Prevention Assist Plus. Of course, like many new cars there’s a host of airbags, seatbelt reminders and ABS brakes, while buyers can also spec Distronic Plus with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot. This allows drivers a degree of autonomy – with the car able to accelerate, steer and brake of its own accord in busy motorway traffic.
Thanks to its arsenal of safety kit, the GLC earned a five-star Euro NCAP rating in 2015, while a 95% score for adult occupant protection, and an 89% score for child safety, mean the GLC is a very safe place to be.
Every GLC comes with a three-year/unlimited mileage warranty, which is fairly average for the class, although some rivals put a mileage cap on their warranty coverage.
Mercedes GLC buyers can make a one-off payment to cover a list of service items, with servicing plans available from one year right up to four years.
In this review
- 1Mercedes GLC reviewThe mid-sized Mercedes GLC offers comfort and decent running costs in the competitive premium SUV sector
- 2Engines, performance and driveExcellent body control and a refined motorway cruiser, but ride can be fidgety on big wheels
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsStandard nine-speed automatic gearbox keeps running costs down and on-par with rivals
- 4Interior, design and technologyCabin is lifted straight out of the C-Class, but looks classy and is premium in feel
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe GLC is smaller than an F-Pace, but rear passenger and boot space is reasonable
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingA huge amount of safety kit and strong Euro NCAP results mean the GLC offers great protection