Mercedes GLC review - Reliability and safety
There’s a good amount of safety kit available in the GLC and most is standard-fit
The new Mercedes GLC was tested by top safety body Euro NCAP in 2022, where it received a full five-star rating. It scored highly for adult and child occupant protection and was also praised for its safety technology, most of which is standard in the UK.
All versions come with an active bonnet for pedestrian safety, active parking assist, adaptive braking, autonomous emergency braking, tiredness detection, a reversing camera and emergency call. Higher-spec models come with blind spot assist, traffic sign recognition and a 360-degree parking camera.
This Mercedes GLC is too new to have appeared in a Driver Power owner satisfaction survey, but in 2023 Mercedes as a brand came in a disappointing 25th place (out of 32) in our best car manufacturer rankings. Around 28 per cent of owners reported a fault with their car, mostly for electrical issues.
Mercedes provides a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty for all its cars, and you can pay extra to extend that by 12 or 24 months if you want. This is close to the bare minimum offered by all car makers in the UK – we certainly wouldn’t expect less than three years’ cover on any new car.
You can buy a Mercedes ServiceCare plan either monthly or upfront. For three services, you’ll pay around £1,370 in total or £38 a month.
In this review
- 1Mercedes GLC reviewThe Mercedes GLC is a hugely impressive SUV with a fantastic interior and loads of in-car tech
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe GLC has a decent range of 2.0-litre engines with some excellent hybrid options
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsThe GLC is one of very few cars available with a diesel plug-in hybrid set-up, which is great for efficiency
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Mercedes GLC has loads of tech and one of the best interiors in its class
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe new Mercedes GLC is a bit larger and has more space inside than the previous version
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingThere’s a good amount of safety kit available in the GLC and most is standard-fit