Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDI - Best diesels
The Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
The Skoda Karoq may not be the most thrilling car to drive or have the most interesting interior in its class, but the diesel engines suit the conservative and refined feel of this small SUV.
You can’t go wrong whatever diesel engine you choose with the Karoq but the smallest 1.6-litre turbodiesel makes sense thanks to its impressive 64.2mpg return on the WLTP. The bigger 2.0-litre diesels do offer greater performance but can quickly raise the price beyond £30,000.
The 1.6 TDI and 1.0-litre petrol both produce 113bhp, but the diesel doesn’t feel as strained as the petrol when accelerating, it just develops a bit more engine noise.
Overall, the Skoda Karoq is a great contender in a bustling small SUV segment as it delivers a great mix of comfort and practicality, particularly with the diesel engines.
Best diesel cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionCovering all the bases, here's our view on the best diesel cars to have on your shortlist if you're buying a car in 2020
- 2Renault Megane dCi 115The Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
- 3Vauxhall Insignia GSThe Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
- 4BMW 320dBMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
- 5Mercedes S 350 dMassive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
- 6Volvo XC90 D5 MomentumThe XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
- 7Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDI - currently readingThe Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
- 8Honda Civic i-DTECSmooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
- 9Range Rover SDV6 VogueThe Range Rover mixes incredible refinement with go anywhere off-road capability, especially with the V6 diesel
- 10BMW 520dThe 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
- 11Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDiThe Peugeot 3008’s bold looks, funky interior and efficient diesel engines make it hugely appealing