Ariel Atom - Best track day cars
Powered by a mid-mounted Honda Civic engine, the Atom feels like a big go-kart due to its exposed skeletal chassis.
Powered by a mid-mounted Honda Civic engine, the Atom feels like a big go-kart due to its exposed skeletal chassis. It’s an absolute hoot on a track day; just don’t forget a helmet and waterproofs.
It's an Atom that’s guaranteed to split opinion! In the quest for added usability, the skeletal track car has gained a windscreen over the years, so now there’s no need to wear shatterproof goggles or a crash helmet every time you pop to the shops!
Want to drive your car on a racing circuit? Undo three bolts and the windscreen lifts off, along with the wiper motor and washer bottle, all in one movement.
Sitting low in the thin plastic seats, buffeting is reduced around the driver’s head, but the lack of bodywork means it’s as draughty as ever once the pace quickens. The surprise is that despite its aftermarket conception, the screen has been integrated seamlessly into the styling.
In fact, the overall build quality is a notch above a Caterham. Simon Saunders, founder of the firm, is a former employee of Aston Martin, and it shows in the attention to detail. Touches like the tachometer needle glowing red as you approach the limiter, and the uncluttered footwell and dash, are an unexpected surprise.
Best track day cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWhether you're looking to shave tenths off your lap time, or simply want to have some fun, these are the best UK's best track cars
- 21. Porsche 911 GT3 RSThere is no denying that our favourite track day car is one for the more wealthy track day drivers, but the stunningly engineered Porsche 911 GT3 RS is worth every penny.
- 32. Caterham SevenThe Caterham Seven allows you to enjoy the simple pleasures of driving.
- 43. Ferrari 488 PistaFerrari makes the 488 more exciting by removing weight and adding power
- 54. McLaren SennaIf you name a car after one of the greatest racing drivers that ever lived, it had better be good. And the Senna is
- 65. Lamborghini Huracan PerformanteAt nearly twice the price of the Porsche 911 GT3 you would expect the Huracan Performante to offer an incredible driving experience, and on many levels it does.
- 76. McLaren 570S Track PackThe McLaren 570S Track Pack gets a range of add-ons designed to deliver the ultimate performance on track.
- 87. Porsche Cayman GTS Sublime handling balance, communicative controls and a stunning engine, the Cayman GTS is a car you’ll want to lap around a track all day.
- 98. Honda Civic Type RAs many petrolheads are aware, Honda has a history of making VTEC performance engines that deliver their best hit of power at the top end of the rev range.
- 109. Hyundai i30 NIt was not that long ago that Hyundai was knocking out dreary model after dreary model reserved for people who’s idea of excitement is a homemade Weetabix smoothie
- 1110. Ariel Atom - currently readingPowered by a mid-mounted Honda Civic engine, the Atom feels like a big go-kart due to its exposed skeletal chassis.