Best Compact Family Car: BMW 1 Series
It was always going to take something special to beat the Volkswagen Golf, and the new BMW 1 Series is exactly that.
Why it won...
It was always going to take something special to beat the Volkswagen Golf, and the new BMW 1 Series is exactly that. When the all-new model arrived last year, our expectations were sky-high – but it didn’t let us down.
BMW’s proven EfficientDynamics hardware promises fuel-sipping thirst across the range and with CO2 emissions starting as low as 99g/km, the 1 Series is a prestige model that won’t break the bank. Best of all, it retains the fun rear-wheel-drive handling that we’ve come to expect from all BMWs, so you don’t feel like you’re making dynamic compromises at every turn.
The standalone ED model grabs all the headlines, and is sure to be a hit with company car drivers everywhere, as its sub-100g/km emissions are accompanied by attractive specification that includes a 6.5-inch infotainment screen, Bluetooth connectivity and a USB port. It’s also hard to pick holes in a family car that can sprint from 0-60mph in 10.5 seconds, yet has lower CO2 emissions than most city cars.
Generous kit and tax-efficient engines are all very well, but the 1 Series also puts the boot into its rivals where it matters most – at the kerbside – because the latest model is better looking than before, and bigger than ever, so family buyers needn’t be put off.
The rest of the range is just as appealing as the ED model, and the potent 125d is a stellar hot hatch thanks to its 215bhp diesel and tuned suspension. The ED is our pick, though, and generous SE trim shows it in its best light.
Our choice: 116d ED
What a combination! A desirable premium badge, comprehensive standard kit list and CO2 emissions of only 99g/km make the cleanest 1 Series in the range the best. It drives well, too.
The days when Kia only won plaudits for its value for money or aftersales packages are long gone. Its latest models stand comparison before you even look at their price tags, and the new Cee’d is a prime example. It’s stylish, spacious, good to drive and has a high-quality interior. And, of course, there’s the seven-year warranty.
The Golf has been our favourite compact family hatch for the last three years and it still ranks as one of the best cars around. Match trim gets you all of the most important kit as standard, while the 1.6 TDI BlueMotion Technology engine mixes fuel-sipping thirst with decent performance.
- 1IntroductionThe awards everyone wants to win are back as we name the finest models in 18 categories and crown our Car of the Year for 2012
- 2Best City Car
- 3Best SuperminiPeugeot has rediscovered its touch. The RCZ coupe has been winning awards and turning heads for the last couple of years
- 4Best Compact Family Car - currently readingIt was always going to take something special to beat the Volkswagen Golf, and the new BMW 1 Series is exactly that.
- 5Best Family Car
- 6Best Five-Seat MPVThe C-MAX has emerged from the shadow of the big-selling Ford Focus, and it deserves to take centre stage.
- 7Best Seven-Seat MPVThe SEAT Alhambra has made the MPV sector its own and after scooping the top prize last year, nothing in the past 12 months has been able to dislodge it from the top of the class
- 8Best Estate CarThe Skoda Superb Estate has scored a hat-trick of wins in the Estate Car category at our annual awards, and it’s going to take something seriously talented to knock it off the top step of the podium next time around.
- 9Best Crossover
- 10Best Compact SUV
- 11Best Large SUVIf the Discovery carries on at this rate, it will deserve an outstanding achievement award at our next New Car Awards.
- 12Best Hot HatchA fast Ford is back on top of the hot hatch pile, and having met the people behind the new Focus ST, we’re not surprised.
- 13Best ConvertibleThe best convertibles need to be as good with their roofs up as they are with them folded, and the Golf Cabriolet is exactly that.
- 14Best CoupePeugeot is back with a bang this year – although it never really went away.
- 15Best Roadster
- 16Best Pick-upWhen the Amarok arrived last year, it redefined what buyers can expect from a hard-working and durable pick-up truck.
- 17Best Compact Executive
- 18Best Executive CarThe BMW 5 Series has returned to the top of the executive class, and it’s all down to one model.
- 19Best Luxury Car
- 20Performance Car of the Year
- 21Green Award
- 22Design Award
- 23Driver Power AwardDriver Power Award: Skoda
- 24Safety Award
- 25Hall of Fame
- 26Car of the Year