Ford Tourneo Connect - best people carriers and MPVs
A van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
When all you need is ultimate space and practicality, a van is the way to go. Eschewing fancy styling in favour of a boxy body, the Ford Tourneo Connect offers an absolutely cavernous interior, and with the seats removed it could easily double as a panel van.
Despite its van-based origins, the Tourneo Connect is great to drive. It’s streets ahead of rivals on the road, and genuinely entertaining – with only a slightly firm ride spoiling the fun.
The Tourneo Connect has a 913-litre boot even with all the seats up. That’s just about as big as you can get on such a compact footprint, and it gets even better when you fold the rear seats down – a massive 2,410 litres are on offer. Twin side sliding doors and an enormous tailgate make it really easy to load, too, and cabin storage is also good.
Most people will plump for one of the 1.6-litre diesel engines, which offer car-like running costs as well as decent performance. There are also two petrol options including a 1.0-litre EcoBoost.
Best people carriers and MPVs
- 1IntroductionHere are the 10 best MPVs and people carriers to buy this year – all loaded with family-friendly features and lots of space
- 21. Citroen Berlingo MultispaceIt's not the most stylish, but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace offers van-like practicality and good value
- 32. Citroen C4 SpaceTourer/Grand C4 SpaceTourerThe Citroen C4 SpaceTourer offers great fuel economy, a practical interior and a hefty dose of style
- 43. Renault Grand ScenicA total redesign has turned the Renault Grand Scenic from a dowdy family bus into a stylish MPV with a crossover vibe
- 54. Ford S-MAXBased on the Mondeo, Ford’s seven-seater is still the best MPV to drive, and it’s impressively practical, too
- 65. Kia CarensKia's Carens MPV won't set the world alight with its design, but it makes a sound buy thanks to strong economy and a class leading warranty
- 76. Vauxhall Zafira TourerBigger and better-looking than its predecessor, the Zafira Tourer is a great option for comfortable family transport
- 87. Ford C-MAX/Grand C-MAXOne of the finest handling small MPVs on sale, the C-MAX is also impressively practical and available with five or seven seats
- 98. BMW 2 Series Active Tourer/Gran TourerGood-looking, great to drive and luxuriously equipped, the 2 Series Gran Tourer is a worthy first MPV from BMW
- 109. Ford Tourneo Connect - currently readingA van-based MPV that drives like a car, the Ford Tourneo Connect isn’t as refined as the competition, but it’s practical and well priced
- 1110. SEAT AlhambraThe SEAT Alhambra is mechanically identical to the classy and spacious VW Sharan, but cheaper