Peugeot 508 review - Reliability and safety
The 508 achieves top marks for safety, while customer feedback is improving for Peugeot.
Peugeot has a good reputation for safety these days, and this is borne out by the 508’s five-star Euro NCAP safety rating, earned in 2018. The car scored an impressive 96% for adult occupant safety and 86% for child occupant safety – virtually identical to the figures posted by the Volkswagen Arteon saloon, which Peugeot hopes the 508 will also attract buyers away from.
While the 508 didn't feature in our 2020 Driver Power survey, the 3008 SUV which shares its engines, running gear and technology with the 508, came home in second place which certainly bodes well for the 508. Peugeot as a brand also showed signs of improvement, with an eighth-place finish out of 30 manufacturers - up from 12th spot in 2019.
Peugeot’s new car warranty is pretty average – three years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. While this matches companies such as Volkswagen and Vauxhall, it falls short of some premium rivals from which Peugeot are hoping the 508 can steal sales – both BMW and Mercedes, for example, offer three-year unlimited mileage policies. And, of course, they’re all a long way short of the five-year and seven-year warranties offered by Hyundai and Kia, respectively.
The 508 requires a yearly service every 12 months or 12,000 miles. The manufacturer offers fixed-priced services, from £199 for the first year to £269 for year two.
In this review
- 1Peugeot 508 reviewThe stylish and sporting Peugeot 508 is aiming to steal sales from more traditional models in the large saloon segment
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Peugeot 508 is an entertaining drive, yet it’s also comfortable and refined.
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsPlug-in hybrid tech makes the 508 more relevant to company car users, but watch out for potentially high insurance costs.
- 4Interior, design and technologyWith its svelte fastback styling, the Peugeot 508 stands out from the crowd and has an equally stylish interior
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceLess room for rear seat passengers and only an average luggage capacity is the price the 508 pays for its fastback design.
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThe 508 achieves top marks for safety, while customer feedback is improving for Peugeot.