Best used city cars
The Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used city car: Skoda Citigo
Prices from: £2,500Our pick: Skoda Citigo 2014 (14) 1.0 75 Elegance GreenTech 5dr, 42,400 miles, £5,000
Back in 2012 the Skoda Citigo shook up the city car segment, proving that buying a compact hatch didn’t mean you had to compromise on affordability, practicality and fun behind the wheel.
The Citigo is all these things and more, adding some clever tech and packaging to deliver versatility and a great driving experience. So it’s no surprise that this winner of the Best City Car crown at Auto Express’s New Car Awards collects another trophy at our Used Awards.
Skoda’s smallest car is a triumph of packaging and in five-door form offers surprising amounts of room for four adults, as well as reasonable luggage space in the 251-litre boot, which is bigger than some superminis’.
There’s a choice of 59bhp or 74bhp 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol engines, both with 95Nm of torque. Whichever you go for, there’s enough performance in town, but the car doesn’t struggle on motorways.
Prices for early versions are now as low as £2,500, but we’d recommend spending a little more on a higher-spec Elegance model in five-door form, which starts from a still incredibly affordable £3,995.
This trim level gets air-con, electric front windows, remote central locking, heated seats and sat-nav as part of a clever touchscreen unit that sits on top of the dash. The Citigo offers a level of maturity given its size and price tag that few models can match.
With CO2 emissions of 105g/km and claimed fuel economy of 63mpg for the 59bhp model, it’ll not only be wallet-friendly to buy, but also frugal to run.
It’s fun to drive in town and offers respectable refinement for longer journeys, and because not much has changed with the recently facelifted model, you get the same level of quality, performance and comfort.
On the road: Citigo is great to drive around town, but isn’t out of its depth on faster roads. It’s efficient, too.
Interior: Cabin is roomy for a city car and build quality impresses. High-spec versions come well equipped.
With just a £500 deposit on a used Citigo through BuyaCar.co.uk you could walk away with the best used city car around with our chosen engine and trim level.
A representative example will cost you £103 per month. When you compare this with the cost of gym memberships, the weekly shop or TV subscriptions, this isn’t much more, yet you could have a car on your drive for similar money.
Kia Picanto Mk3
The Mk3 Kia Picanto is a brilliant city car. It’s more refined and mature than the Citigo, which increased its appeal, while it’s nearly as much fun to drive. It’s roomy and higher-spec cars have great infotainment systems, but because it’s newer, these will be more expensive.
With its 3+1 seat layout, the Toyota iQ is a quirky choice. The 1.3-litre engine is reliable, and the iQ formed the basis of the exclusive Aston Martin Cygnet. It’s an intelligent way of maximising space inside a car that’s not much longer than a Smart ForTwo.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city cars - currently readingThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018