Skoda Scala review - Reliability and safety
Skoda’s reputation for reliability bodes well and there’s lots of standard safety kit
It’s encouraging to see a good amount of standard safety kit - autonomous emergency braking (called ‘Front Assist’, lane-keep assistance and an automatic emergency call function are included for the entry-level S trim, while cruise control and rear parking sensors are standard for SE-spec cars. Options include knee airbags at £240, a driver fatigue sensor for £60 and rear side airbags for £450.
The Scala is too new to have featured in our 2020 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey, although Karoq, Superb and Kodiaq all finished in the top twenty. Skoda itself finished in an impressive 5th place – good news for prospective owners.
All Skoda models are covered by a three-year warranty that includes cover for unlimited mileage in the first two years, plus up to 60,000 miles in year three. For just over £500, this warranty can be extended to up to five years and 100,00 miles. It’s a competitive warranty, but can’t match Hyundai’s unlimited-mileage five-year coverage, nor Kia’s famous seven-year, 100,000-mile warranty.
Fixed-price servicing for the Skoda Scala should be reasonable – you should pay around £170 for an interim service and around £280 for a major one, while service plans and deals are available to help spread the cost. Skoda charges around £40 for an MoT (for cars over three years old) and an oil and filter change will set you back just under £100.
In this review
- 1Skoda Scala reviewSkoda’s family hatch offers a class-leading combination of space, quality, comfort and value
- 2Engines, performance and driveA small but tried-and-tested engine range meets confident handling and a plush ride
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe lightweight Skoda Scala is an efficient car that won’t cost the earth to run, regardless of engine choice
- 4Interior, design and technologyIt’s not the most exciting car to look at or travel in, but practicality and quality have been given top priority
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Scala upholds Skoda’s reputation for practicality, with a huge boot and lots of room for occupants
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingSkoda’s reputation for reliability bodes well and there’s lots of standard safety kit