Alfa Romeo Tonale - Reliability and safety
The Tonale’s five-star Euro NCAP safety rating is no surprise with the level of driving assistance tech on-board
The Tonale was awarded the full five-star crash safety rating when it was tested by Euro NCAP in 2022, receiving an 83 per cent score for adult occupant protection and 85 per cent in the child occupant protection category. The Tonale’s 85 per cent for safety assistance technology is no surprise considering every model comes fitted with autonomous emergency braking, traffic-sign recognition, forward-collision warning and adaptive cruise control.
Level two autonomous driving tech is optional, and allows the car to accelerate and steer between lanes for limited periods. A 360-degree camera set-up, blind-spot detection and front parking sensor also come with the level two autonomous driving tech as part of a pack.
We can't say much about the Tonale’s reliability just yet because it's too new and owners haven’t had a proper chance to give their cars a shakedown. The Tonale also didn’t feature in our most recent Driver Power owner satisfaction survey for the same reasons.
The Tonale gets a three-year, unlimited mileage factory warranty which will suit most people who decide to lease, but Alfa also offers extended warranties that run in conjunction with any finance deal you might take out. However, the just one year of free roadside recovery you get with the Tonale isn’t so generous. In comparison, Volvo XC40 and BMW X1 customers get three years of free roadside assistance.
Alfa offers flexible annual service plans for the Tonale starting from £269. They span from one to five years and include all scheduled maintenance, depending on the term or mileage selected.
In this review
- 1Alfa Romeo Tonale reviewStunning looks, slick tech and decent practicality make the Alfa Romeo Tonale an appealing, if flawed, compact premium SUV
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Tonale PHEV is comfortable, composed and packs plenty of punch, and as a result it’s our pick of the range
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsCompany car drivers will flock to the plug-in hybrid Tonale thanks to 8 per cent BiK rate and impressive fuel economy
- 4Interior, design and technologyWe love the slick infotainment system, however cabin quality can’t match the Tonale’s closest rivals from Germany and Sweden
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceCabin space and luggage capacity is decent rather than generous in Alfa’s smallest SUV
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingThe Tonale’s five-star Euro NCAP safety rating is no surprise with the level of driving assistance tech on-board