Audi Q8 review - Reliability and safety
As an Audi flagship model, the Q8 SUV comes loaded with safety tech
As you’d expect of an Audi flagship, there’s absolutely loads of safety kit wrapped up in that big SUV body. Audi bundles its safety kit into four packages, with the top spec Tour Assist package offering adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping, collision avoidance from the front and sides, and the ability to match speed limits via road sign recognition, and also slows autonomously for corners and roundabouts.
There are five systems at play in the city, monitoring cross-traffic front and rear, vehicles approaching from the side, plus exit and lane change warnings. A Park Plus Assist package prevents bumps during low-speed manoeuvres, and will also park the car autonomously.
Like the Q7, with which it shares a platform, the Q8 achieved a full, five-star rating in Euro NCAP’s crash tests, scoring an impressive 93% for adult occupant protection and 87% for child protection. In our 2021 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, the Audi brand only finished 23rd out of 29 brands, although customer feedback placed the A3, A4, Q3 and Q2 all inside the top 75 best cars to own.
The Audi Q8 gets the same warranty as everything else in the line-up, which means you’re covered for three-years but only 60,000 miles. BMW’s standard warranty is also three years, but you’re covered for unlimited mileage.
You can opt for annual services for your Q8 if you’re the kind of driver who does relatively low mileage with lots of short journeys. The alternative is a variable schedule determined by the car’s onboard sensors. This could see service stops extended as far as two years, but not further.
In this review
- 1Audi Q8 reviewAudi’s slickly-styled SUV ‘coupe’ flagship gives BMW and Mercedes a run for their money
- 2Engines, performance and driveIt’s a great motorway cruiser, but the drive isn’t as sporty as the Q8’s looks would suggest
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsA full-size luxury SUV is never going to be cost-efficient. It’s on a par with rivals though
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Q8’s design is smart and contemporary inside and out, while the onboard tech is a tour-de-force
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceFor its size the Q8 isn’t especially practical, but it’s very comfortable
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingAs an Audi flagship model, the Q8 SUV comes loaded with safety tech