Ford Fiesta ST - best performance cars
The Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches
The latest Fiesta ST is a much more comfortable prospect than the outgoing model thanks to a change in approach for the suspension set-up.
The old Fiesta ST was often criticised for being too stiff and hardcore, but the new car features softer dampers which - at the cost of some agility - make it a much more rounded car for everyday life.
A limited slip differential is available on the ST for the first time, while Normal, Sport and Track modes are new additions too. As such the ST is ready for anything, and when you do put your foot down in anger, the steering puts most of its rivals to shame.
A 1.5-litre turbo engine offers 197bhp and 290Nm of torque, accelerating the ST from 0-62mph in 6.5 seconds. Despite the performance, the ST can also reach a claimed 47.1mpg. And with low running costs comes a laughably low price tag, with figures starting at £18,995. You’ll struggle to find better performance at this price point.
Top 10 best performance cars 2020
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability, the Porsche 911 is a tour-de-force in the performance car market
- 32. McLaren 570SAll the driving thrills you'd expect - the McLaren 570S is an amazingly capable supercar.
- 43. Aston Martin VantageThe Aston Martin Vantage is a supremely capable sports car - ready and able to take on the Porsche 911.
- 54. Ferrari F8 TributoThe F8 Tributo's huge technical ability makes performance on the limit easier to reach and control.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Alpine A110The lightweight Alpine A110 delivers a pure driving experience to go along with its quirky retro looks.
- 87. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven.
- 98. BMW M5 CompetitionThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 109. Honda Civic Type RWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta ST - currently readingThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches