Ford Fiesta ST - best performance cars
The Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches
The latest Fiesta ST is a much more comfortable prospect than the outgoing model thanks to a change in approach for the suspension set-up.
The old Fiesta ST was often criticised for being too stiff and hardcore, but the new car features softer dampers which - at the cost of some agility - make it much more rounded car for everyday life.
A limited slip differential is available on the ST for the first time, while Normal, Sport and Track modes are new additions too. As such the ST is ready for anything, and when you do put your foot down in anger, the steering puts most of its rivals to shame.
A 1.5-litre turbo engine offers 197bhp and 290Nm of torque, accelerating the ST from 0-62mph in 6.5 seconds. Despite the performance, the ST can also reach a claimed 47.1mpg. And with low running costs comes a laughably low price tag, with figures starting at £18,995. You’ll struggle to find better performance at this price point.
Top 10 best performance cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability this new Porsche 911 is a tour de force in the performance car market
- 32. Aston Martin DBS SuperleggeraAston Martin’s flagship amplifies everything that makes the DB11 special
- 43. Mclaren 600LT If you were one of the very few who thought the McLaren 570S wasn’t hardcore enough, meet the McLaren 600LT.
- 54. Ferrari 488 PistaThe combination of road-car and race car in the Pista make for a fabulous, yet focused supercar.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven
- 87. BMW M5 CompetitionThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 98. McLaren 720SMcLaren 720S supercar builds on the reputation of its 650 and 675 predecessors
- 109. Honda Civic Type RWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta ST - currently readingThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches