Car of the Year 2018: Jaguar I-Pace
The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
The world is on the cusp of a step change when it comes to personal transport, and the I-Pace gives us the ability to peer into the future. It’s a premium electric car that doesn’t demand much in the way of compromise, pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with technology.
As Jaguar’s first effort at an electric vehicle, it’s a triumph. It offers performance that would humble some sports cars, practicality to shame some SUVs and the premium image many buyers seek.
The integration of new technology with a long list of attributes that makes the I-Pace an award winner has been executed exquisitely. With speed, comfort, refinement and practicality, it covers so many bases so adeptly that its merits are obvious. And the fact Jaguar has achieved this with new technology in an all-electric vehicle first time out should be applauded.
The I-Pace draws on the company’s heritage when it comes to technological innovation. Way back in the fifties, the brand was ahead of the curve with enormously important advances such as disc brakes, and more than 60 years later it’s the first premium manufacturer to fully exploit the potential an electric car can offer.
At the same time, the newcomer hasn’t sacrificed the elements that define a Jaguar, with comfort, quality and usability all present in the I-Pace’s repertoire.
We’ll see many manufacturers releasing premium electric cars over the next few years, but in the here and now Jaguar has beaten all of its established competition and achieved success at its maiden attempt. It’s a fine car and a worthy victor in our New Car Awards.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the Year - currently readingThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended