Compact Family Car of the Year 2018: Volkswagen Golf
The Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
The Volkswagen Golf is a constant in this class, and yet again it’s taken the title of Best Compact Family Car. That’s for a multitude of reasons following the successful facelift last year that subtly revitalised the formula, tweaking the styling, adding new engines and extra safety tech to the line-up and improving the infotainment on offer.
VW didn’t mess with the core of the car and the elements that make the Golf so appealing, though. So the latest Mk7.5 model still sets standards for comfort (you can improve this further with optional adaptive dampers), refinement and upmarket appeal, thanks to its premium-quality cabin and materials.
Any family hatchback needs to deliver practicality – and the Volkswagen doesn’t disappoint, with more than enough space for most families, as well as plenty of clever storage touches that make living with the car easy.
The Golf’s simple but sharp styling and neat details don’t affect its usability, which was enhanced by the Discover Navigation infotainment system that comes as standard on even more modest trim levels.
Infotainment is an increasingly important area for buyers in every segment, and the Golf serves up just what you want at an affordable price, plus it’s backed up by a thoroughly well-engineered mechanical make-up.
On the move the car delivers a compelling blend of comfort, refinement and driver engagement, while the engine line-up offers a strong mix of performance and refinement.
The pick of the bunch is still the 108bhp 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbo petrol powerplant, because it’s smooth and punchy but capable of nearly 60mpg. The balance is shifting towards petrol across the board, and although the diesel options here are still strong, this 1.0 TSI makes them largely redundant.
There’s much more on offer under the bonnet, though. Eco fans will be thrilled by the all-electric e-Golf, while performance purists are catered for by the iconic GTI or the even faster, four-wheel-drive Golf R.
After more than 40 years and seven generations, Volkswagen has honed and evolved the Golf to the point where it’s still the undisputed compact hatch class leader.
Volkswagen Golf 1.0 TSI SE Nav 5dr (£21,025)
For our choice we’d keep it simple and stick with an SE Nav model because this offers all the kit you could want for the least outlay. Adaptive cruise control, AEB, sat-nav and that brilliant infotainment system are all included as standard, while the 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine effortlessly combines enough pace with impressive efficiency.
The new A-Class has advanced this sector in one key area: infotainment. While Mercedes’ larger twin-screen set-up and augmented reality nav is a pricey option, it brings a tech treat to the hatch’s slick interior. The A-Class can’t quite match the Golf’s ride or refinement, but improved packaging and a premium feel make it more compelling than ever.
Skoda’s Octavia hatch uses the same platform as the Golf, but is even more practical, so if usability and budget are your biggest concerns, look no further. The Skoda isn’t as glamorous as its award-winning sibling, but the value on offer and the vast boot make it a fine choice for buyers who want more for less.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the Year - currently readingThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended
- 16Large Premium SUV of the YearThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2018 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover commended
- 17MPV of the YearThe Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 18Roadster of the YearThe Mazda MX-5 is the 2018 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the McLaren 570S Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Coupe of the YearThe Lexus LC is the 2018 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi A5 and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 20Hot Hatch of the YearThe Honda Civic Type R is the 2018 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and Hyundai i30 N commended
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2018 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin Vantage and BMW M5 commended
- 22Luxury Car of the YearThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Affordable Electric Car of the YearThe Hyundai Kona Electric is the 2018 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Nissan Leaf and Volkswagen e-Golf commended
- 24Premium Electric Car of the YearThe Jaguar I-Pace is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Electric Car of the Year, with the BMW i3 and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Affordable Hybrid Car of the YearThe Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in is the 2018 Auto Express Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year, with the MINI Countryman and Toyota Prius commended
- 26Premium Hybrid Car of the YearThe Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the BMW 530e and Range Rover Plug-in commended
- 27Pick-up of the YearThe Mitsubishi L200 is the 2018 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Mercedes X-Class commended
- 28Van of the YearThe Mercedes Sprinter is the 2018 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit Custom and Volkswagen Crafter commended
- 29Technology AwardThe Nissan Leaf wins the Auto Express 2018 Technology Award for its bi-directional charging
- 30Social Media Campaign of the YearJeep's 'Set your own course' has won the 2018 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 31Car Advertising Campaign of the YearVolkswagen's 'Born Confident' advert for the new T-Roc has won the 2018 integrated advertising campaign awarC
- 32Driver Power AwardLexus has scooped the 2018 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm once again
- 33Design AwardWe asked you what your favourite car design is for 2018, and the Aston Martin Vantage has taken the crown
- 34Anniversary Awards – Auto Express, evo and OctaneWe celebrate 30 years of Auto Express, 20 years of evo and 15 years of Octane with our special Anniversary Awards