Technology Award 2018: Nissan Leaf
The Nissan Leaf wins the Auto Express 2018 Technology Award for its bi-directional charging
Many things have impressed us about the new Nissan Leaf. It’s good to drive with a realistic range of over 150 miles and it comes packed with tech not available on many cars at this price, let alone EVs.
But what stands out above all is the thought that’s gone into electric vehicle ownership and making that more appealing and cheaper for more people.
The Leaf is the first car to come with something we think is a slice of genius: bi-directional charging. This means that a Leaf can not only take power from the grid, but also feed power back in; Nissan claims that this could mean you pay nothing to charge your Leaf if you use it right.
So how does it work? Nissan is working with energy supplier OVO on its Vehicle To Grid (V2G) system that will enable you to buy power to charge your car when it’s at its cheapest and sell any surplus charge in your Leaf’s battery back to the grid when demand is high. Play the system correctly and it could leave you quids in.
If you don’t fancy that, Nissan Solar will sell you solar panels for your roof and a battery to store that power for when you need to charge your car up. Who said Tesla had a monopoly on good EV ideas?
On top of all this, the Leaf is one of our favourite electric cars – good to drive, with plenty of space and decent performance. Its clever e-pedal means you can genuinely drive it with one pedal, such is the extra braking for regenerative power when you lift off the throttle. And for less than £30k you can have a car with ProPilot Level 2 autonomy and a whole host of luxury technology, too.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended