Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2018: Volkswagen T-Roc
Volkswagen's 'Born Confident' advert for the new T-Roc has won the 2018 integrated advertising campaign awarC
Launching a new car isn’t easy, even for a well-known brand like Volkswagen. Particularly when it’s an SUV, entering one of the most competitive markets in the UK. The firm wanted to drive awareness for the new T-Roc, but in a way that stood out. In its own words, “to challenge the status quo, behave differently to other automotive brands and make T-Roc a big player in its segment”.
The ad showed a young ram born with an adult’s black fur and horns. He confidently led the herd to stand up to a dog and a bull. But on meeting the T-Roc, he’s clearly met his match.
The ad ran across print, websites, TV and social media, including Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat. It also ran in cinemas, plus there was a digital outdoor element that delivered 35.7 million impacts and reached 6.4m UK adults. The T-Roc page was the most visited on Volkswagen.co.uk, and led to more than 14,000 brochure downloads.
Crucially, the campaign contributed to the T-Roc becoming the most test-driven model in the range. In the first week T-Roc enquiries rose to about 150 a day; since then, daily enquires are around four times higher than before the campaign ran.
Our judges felt the campaign resonated well with the audience. The creativity really stood out, and the campaign will surely be among the most memorable of the past 12 months.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended