Van of the Year 2018: Mercedes Sprinter
The Mercedes Sprinter is the 2018 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit Custom and Volkswagen Crafter commended
For the all-new Mercedes Sprinter, it’s a case of evolution and revolution rolled into one. The evolution comes with the smoother lines outside, improved payload volumes, better fuel economy, lower emissions and a smarter interior that’s inspired by Mercedes’ passenger cars.
Higher-spec models offer car-like features such as improved plastics, extra fabric trim and a multifunction steering wheel similar to that in the latest A and C-Class, and plush seats are designed to deliver a more comfortable work environment.
The revolution starts in the cab; the Sprinter is the second Mercedes, after the A-Class hatch, to get the MBUX voice-controlled infotainment system. Simply say ‘Hey Mercedes’, and the set-up kicks into life to provide navigation information, change radio stations and offer petrol price data via a live services subscription.
Of more importance to van users and fleet managers is the standard fitment of Mercedes PRO Connect to every Sprinter that leaves the factory. This online technology means fleet managers can monitor their vans in real time, allowing them to plan logistics, arrange for van servicing and monitor driver behaviour with an eye on keeping fleet running costs in check.
The other big change is the arrival of front-wheel drive alongside the rear-drive and 4x4 variants. The front-drive model benefits from an extra 50kg of payload, plus the load floor is 80mm lower, boosting accessibility over the rear-drive variant. Add three roof heights and three body lengths for the panel van, plus chassis cab and crew cab variants, VIP shuttle bus versions and camper-ready tractor head units, and the new Sprinter has all bases covered in the large van sector.
Mercedes Sprinter 314 CDI L2 H1 (£30,405 excl VAT)
With over 1,700 variants, there will be a Sprinter to suit most needs. But the standard-length, high-roof panel van in 141bhp front-wheel-drive guise offers a fine mix of payload capacity and efficiency with a lower load floor than the rear-drive version.
Ford Transit Custom
A mid-life facelift has kept the Transit Custom in contention. The looks take cues from Ford’s cars, and it has SYNC 3 infotainment. Options include two body lengths and two roof heights, and the Double Cab Van is an interesting alternative to an MPV.
The Crafter is proof that you can still have fun driving a working vehicle. VW has saved weight in its construction, and it’s as nimble as vans from the class below. This is a fringe benefit of a large van, and with a large payload, three body lengths and front, rear and four-wheel-drive options, it’s a great choice.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended