Performance Car of the Year 2018: Porsche 911 GT3
The Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2018 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin Vantage and BMW M5 commended
There’s no better place to shape a high-octane model than the competitive world of motorsport; this is exactly where the GT3 was developed. It’s a racetrack refugee, with a 4.0-litre flat-six engine that’s been carried over pretty much wholesale from the German brand’s Carrera Cup racer. It serves up 493bhp and revs to 9,000rpm, emitting an addictive, race car-like howl in the process.
There are PDK dual-clutch auto and manual models to choose from. Go for the former and with launch control the 0-62mph sprint takes 3.4 seconds; opt for the latter and while you’ll sacrifice some speed you’ll easily gain this back in interaction and involvement.
Both transmission options are the best of their kind, with the PDK slicing through gears with barely believable speed and the manual offering a lovely mechanical shift.
However, straights are not the GT3’s territory, because it comes alive in the twisty stuff. The rear-engined layout has been refined and exploited to provide incredible traction out of corners without compromising the handling.
In fact, the GT3’s balance and poise are beautiful. The chassis generates stupendous grip, but this is teamed with a level of communication that inspires confidence for you to push what’s possible when it comes to performance.
The chassis, engine and gearbox work together so harmoniously that you can take liberties in the GT3 where once a hardcore 911 with its rear-engined layout would punish mistakes. Adaptive dampers mean on track in Sport mode the GT3 will hop over kerbs like a full-on race car, with brilliant body control, hardly any roll and enough grip to test your core strength.
But despite this, back the suspension off to its Normal setting and the GT3 is genuinely usable on the road; the car’s damping never feels anything less than expensive and plush, regardless of which driving mode you’re in.
The GT3 is engaging at all speeds, but it makes most sense when you increase your effort at the wheel. Then the 911’s talents reveal themselves in full – including that noise, which in a world of turbocharged performance car rivals, defines the whole experience.
Porsche 911 GT3 (£111,802)
The GT3 is a standalone model. You get a choice of manual and PDK boxes, as well as a Touring option that has less obvious styling. The PDK is a tech masterpiece, but for the ultimate in driver fun we’d recommend you change gears yourself with the manual. Carbon brakes resist fade better, but the standard steel set-up will be cheaper to replace if you’re a track-day junkie.
Aston Martin Vantage
In its new Vantage, Aston has combined AMG’s brutish 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 with British style and craftsmanship to deliver a superbly involving sports car that doubles as a brilliant GT. The soundtrack, performance and rear-drive balance are delectable. This is Aston at its new best.
The supersaloon arms race continues and the latest M5 delivers stunning performance. There’s now four-wheel drive to harness that power, but it’s switchable, with a two-wheel-drive drift mode that highlights its playful side. It’s devastatingly effective and brilliantly usable, yet delivers the refinement, tech and comfort you want from an executive car.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended
- 16Large Premium SUV of the YearThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2018 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover commended
- 17MPV of the YearThe Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 18Roadster of the YearThe Mazda MX-5 is the 2018 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the McLaren 570S Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Coupe of the YearThe Lexus LC is the 2018 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi A5 and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 20Hot Hatch of the YearThe Honda Civic Type R is the 2018 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and Hyundai i30 N commended
- 21Performance Car of the Year - currently readingThe Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2018 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin Vantage and BMW M5 commended
- 22Luxury Car of the YearThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Affordable Electric Car of the YearThe Hyundai Kona Electric is the 2018 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Nissan Leaf and Volkswagen e-Golf commended
- 24Premium Electric Car of the YearThe Jaguar I-Pace is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Electric Car of the Year, with the BMW i3 and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Affordable Hybrid Car of the YearThe Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in is the 2018 Auto Express Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year, with the MINI Countryman and Toyota Prius commended
- 26Premium Hybrid Car of the YearThe Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the BMW 530e and Range Rover Plug-in commended
- 27Pick-up of the YearThe Mitsubishi L200 is the 2018 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Mercedes X-Class commended
- 28Van of the YearThe Mercedes Sprinter is the 2018 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit Custom and Volkswagen Crafter commended
- 29Technology AwardThe Nissan Leaf wins the Auto Express 2018 Technology Award for its bi-directional charging
- 30Social Media Campaign of the YearJeep's 'Set your own course' has won the 2018 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 31Car Advertising Campaign of the YearVolkswagen's 'Born Confident' advert for the new T-Roc has won the 2018 integrated advertising campaign awarC
- 32Driver Power AwardLexus has scooped the 2018 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm once again
- 33Design AwardWe asked you what your favourite car design is for 2018, and the Aston Martin Vantage has taken the crown
- 34Anniversary Awards – Auto Express, evo and OctaneWe celebrate 30 years of Auto Express, 20 years of evo and 15 years of Octane with our special Anniversary Awards