Premium Hybrid Car of the Year: Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine
The Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the BMW 530e and Range Rover Plug-in commended
It’s been a good year for Volvo at our New Car Awards 2018, with the XC60 T8 Twin Engine scooping one of two victories for the Swedish brand. It’s a well-deserved gong, too; the already capable XC60 is arguably at its brilliant best when combining petrol and electric drive.
Battery power lets the XC60 cover up to 28 miles on a single charge which, should you top it up daily (between two and a half and six hours, depending on your power supply), means that much of an average commute can be done using little or no petrol. It’s the reason the T8’s official economy claims stand at 122.8mpg. Take this with a pinch of salt, but still expect strong real-world efficiency.
The XC60 isn’t a plug-in hybrid that sacrifices power, though; it’s deceptively quick. The 2.0-litre turbo and supercharged engine is combined with an electric motor to deliver a total of 401bhp, which gives this SUV a 0-62mph time of 5.3 seconds.
Yet it’s the T8’s comfort that impresses the most. The electric motor delivers near-silent performance and swift acceleration around town. When the petrol unit chimes in it’s smooth, too, while the eight-speed auto gearbox manages both power sources well.
Combined with the Pilot Assist system, which maintains the Volvo’s speed and keeps you in your lane when on the motorway, it makes for an incredibly capable mile-muncher.
The interior is a lovely place to spend those journeys. The slick, minimalist design stands out against its rivals, and it’s light and airy, with easily enough space for five adults. Given the benefits of Volvo’s hybrid tech, it doesn’t compromise practicality much, either; boot capacity is only slightly down on its conventionally fuelled cousins’.
Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine R-Design (£53,870)
You can choose the T8 Twin Engine in sporty R-Design or high-spec Inscription trims; each is available with a higher ‘Pro’ level. R-Design is marginally cheaper and gets all the kit you’d need, so it’s the one we’d go for. Part-leather seats, a nine-inch touchscreen, sat-nav, LED lights and a panoramic roof all feature as standard.
The latest 5 Series is a brilliant all-rounder, and in plug-in 530e form offers huge appeal to company car drivers. The mix of 2.0-litre turbo petrol and an electric motor is almost a match for the diesel-powered 530d model for performance and price, but if you cover short distances regularly then the PHEV saloon should be cheaper to run, too.
Range Rover Plug-in
A beautiful cabin, timeless style and wonderful refinement make the Range Rover one of the best SUVs you can buy; with hybrid tech the PHEV is among the most efficient, too. EV mode suits the car’s refined character and it combines a potent 398bhp with CO2 emissions of just 72g/km.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
Get the latest electric car news, reviews and analysis on DrivingElectric.com
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended
- 16Large Premium SUV of the YearThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2018 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover commended
- 17MPV of the YearThe Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 18Roadster of the YearThe Mazda MX-5 is the 2018 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the McLaren 570S Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Coupe of the YearThe Lexus LC is the 2018 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi A5 and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 20Hot Hatch of the YearThe Honda Civic Type R is the 2018 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and Hyundai i30 N commended
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2018 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin Vantage and BMW M5 commended
- 22Luxury Car of the YearThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Affordable Electric Car of the YearThe Hyundai Kona Electric is the 2018 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Nissan Leaf and Volkswagen e-Golf commended
- 24Premium Electric Car of the YearThe Jaguar I-Pace is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Electric Car of the Year, with the BMW i3 and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Affordable Hybrid Car of the YearThe Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in is the 2018 Auto Express Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year, with the MINI Countryman and Toyota Prius commended
- 26Premium Hybrid Car of the Year - currently readingThe Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the BMW 530e and Range Rover Plug-in commended
- 27Pick-up of the YearThe Mitsubishi L200 is the 2018 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Mercedes X-Class commended
- 28Van of the YearThe Mercedes Sprinter is the 2018 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit Custom and Volkswagen Crafter commended
- 29Technology AwardThe Nissan Leaf wins the Auto Express 2018 Technology Award for its bi-directional charging
- 30Social Media Campaign of the YearJeep's 'Set your own course' has won the 2018 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 31Car Advertising Campaign of the YearVolkswagen's 'Born Confident' advert for the new T-Roc has won the 2018 integrated advertising campaign awarC
- 32Driver Power AwardLexus has scooped the 2018 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm once again
- 33Design AwardWe asked you what your favourite car design is for 2018, and the Aston Martin Vantage has taken the crown
- 34Anniversary Awards – Auto Express, evo and OctaneWe celebrate 30 years of Auto Express, 20 years of evo and 15 years of Octane with our special Anniversary Awards