Jaguar XE review - Reliability and Safety
Five stars from Euro NCAP and plenty of standard safety features make the XE safe, though reliability is currently unproven
The latest Jaguar XE did not feature in our 2019 Driver Power survey, but the British manufacturer itself achieved a 9th-place finish overall out of 30 manufacturers. Owners were impressed with their cars’ engines, ride and handling and exterior styling, but reliability is not a strong point – 28.9 per cent of owners reported experiencing a fault.
On the safety front there’s no need to worry, with the car achieving an excellent result in its Euro NCAP crash test in 2015. Its 92 per cent adult occupant rating in particular is brilliant, with six airbags, traction control, stability control and Isofix for child seats all standard.
Automatic emergency braking (AEB), pedestrian contact sensing, cruise control with a speed limiter, lane-keep assist and a driver condition monitor are all standard-fit, along with front and rear parking sensors, a rear parking camera and traffic sign recognition. Moving up the range introduces 360-degree parking sensors and a rear traffic monitor (on SE models) and adaptive cruise with high-speed AEB and blind spot assist on HSE cars.
The Jaguar XE comes with a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty, meaning business buyers looking to do big mileages can have peace of mind. It’s fairly standard aside from the mileage de-restriction, covering any mechanical or electrical parts that fail outside of what could be considered normal wear and tear.
Jaguar offers fixed price service plans with flexible payment options. Plans are also transferable between cars, so your plan can be carried across to any subsequent Jaguar model. All parts used in Jaguar’s servicing are covered by a 24-month warranty.
In this review
- 1Jaguar XE reviewThe Jaguar XE is a small saloon that delivers a fine balance between performance, efficiency and luxury
- 2Engines, performance and driveGreat to drive yet very comfortable, and despite a narrow engine choice overall there should be something for everyone here
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsOverall the XE is a very cost-effective executive saloon to buy and run
- 4Interior, design and technologyWith smart looks inside and out, and one of the best multimedia systems out there – the XE is designed for the cutting edge driver
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceGreat ride quality is tempered by a cabin that lacks space compared to rivals, and the boot has a similar issue
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingFive stars from Euro NCAP and plenty of standard safety features make the XE safe, though reliability is currently unproven