Mercedes S 350 d - Best diesels
Massive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
If you want the ultimate in luxury diesel driving, then look no further than the Mercedes S-Class.
Actually, that's not strictly true. Mercedes offers a hybrid S-Class as a true economy champ, but the hybrid power train isn't so suited to the car as this diesel engine. The 3.0-litre twin-turbo V6 is super-smooth yet seriously quick with 0-62mph taking just 6.0 seconds - quite a feat in a car weighing nearly 2 tonnes. Yet driven carefully it will return 52mpg.
Weight certainly aids comfort and whatever guise the S-Class is in, it irons out any imperfections in the road. Sophisticated technology 'reads' the road ahead and is able to prep the air suspension for upcoming bumps. This really is one of the most comfortable cars short of a Rolls-Royce Phantom.
The Mercedes S-Class has always been a showcase for the absolute latest technology and this one doesn't disappoint, with two 12-inch screens in the dash, mobile data, optional night vision, reclining rear seats and an industry first - there isn't a single filament lightbulb on the car.
When it comes to luxury limos, the S-Class stands head-and-shoulders above its rivals.
Best diesel cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionCovering all the bases, here's our view on the best diesel cars to have on your shortlist if you're buying a car in 2020
- 2Renault Megane dCi 115The Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
- 3Vauxhall Insignia GSThe Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
- 4BMW 320dBMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
- 5Mercedes S 350 d - currently readingMassive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
- 6Volvo XC90 D5 MomentumThe XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
- 7Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDIThe Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
- 8Honda Civic i-DTECSmooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
- 9Range Rover SDV6 VogueThe Range Rover mixes incredible refinement with go anywhere off-road capability, especially with the V6 diesel
- 10BMW 520dThe 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
- 11Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDiThe Peugeot 3008’s bold looks, funky interior and efficient diesel engines make it hugely appealing