Toyota RAV4 (2013-2018) review - Reliability and Safety
Top safety score and long warranty are promising
All models in the RAV4 range are available with a Safety Sense pack, which adds a pre-collision detection system (to warn the driver of a collision and automatically brake if needed), adaptive cruise control, lane departure alert, road sign assist, automatic high beams and trailer sway control.
Euro NCAP hasn't tested the very latest model but the RAV4 previously scored five stars in the crash tests - with stability control and seven airbags as standard.
Our 2015 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey ranked Toyota as a brand to be the third most reliable manufacturer, and the RAV4 came in 29th overall. It scored a seventh place finish for reliability and 15th place for build quality too, which is a strong indication that the car will be one of the most dependable on the road.
Toyota's reliability score in our survey is backed up by the manufacturer warranty of five years of 100,000 miles. It shows the confidence Toyota has in its cars and compares favourably to Nissan and Mazda's 3-year policies. The Kia Sportage has a seven-year warranty though.
Fixed-price servicing is available from £149 for the RAV4, which compares well with Nissan and Mazda. Servicing for the diesel model is every 10,000 miles, which is a bit more often than rival models.
In this review
- 1Toyota RAV4 (2013-2018) reviewThe Toyota RAV4 has grown up considerably in its latest generation, but it lacks character and is a dull drive
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Toyota RAV4 can't match its rivals for ride, handling or performance
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsLow CO2 emissions mean the RAV4 is a solid company car choice, but economy is average
- 4Interior, design and technologyRecent update has improved things, but the modern RAV4 doesn't stand out
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Toyota RAV4's best point is its practicality - there's loads of room inside
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingTop safety score and long warranty are promising