Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport 1.6 136PS Ecotec - Best diesels
The Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
The latest Insignia went on sale in 2017 and with sales dwindling in the large family car class, Vauxhall decided to go upmarket and attack compact executive saloon cars like the BMW 3 Series and Audi A4 with the Insignia Grand Sport replacement.
The diesel engines certainly feel more refined as they mix impressive performance with decent economy. The 168bhp 2.0litre diesel can do 0-62mph in 8.4 seconds but also achieve 53.3mpg. A great pick is the 134bhp 1.6-litre diesel version with the manual gearbox which can do 61.4mpg on the WLTP cycle. Spec the automatic however and this drops to 54.3mpg.
Best diesel cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionCovering all the bases, here's our view on the best diesel cars to have on your shortlist if you're buying a car in 2020
- 2Renault Megane dCi 115The Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
- 3Vauxhall Insignia GS - currently readingThe Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
- 4BMW 320dBMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
- 5Mercedes S 350 dMassive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
- 6Volvo XC90 D5 MomentumThe XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
- 7Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDIThe Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
- 8Honda Civic i-DTECSmooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
- 9Range Rover SDV6 VogueThe Range Rover mixes incredible refinement with go anywhere off-road capability, especially with the V6 diesel
- 10BMW 520dThe 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
- 11Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDiThe Peugeot 3008’s bold looks, funky interior and efficient diesel engines make it hugely appealing