Honda Accord Type R 1998-2002
Honda's Accord Type R takes 6th place in our greatest fast Hondas top 10
Apart from its oversized rear wing, the Honda Accord Type R was something of a sleeper car. It didn’t attract unwanted attention with outrageous styling, but it still packed a mighty punch for a four-door family saloon. The Accord featured a larger 2.2-litre VTEC engine than its Type R stablemates, which delivered extra mid-range torque. This meant, unlike some of the more frenetic hatches that wore Honda’s ‘R for racing’ badge, the performance was more accessible more of the time.
You still had to work the car hard but, as with all Type Rs, Honda’s engineers performed a masterpiece in tuning the chassis so it never felt like a chore. The steering relayed messages from the front wheels with clarity, and the sense of expensively engineered mechanicals was palpable.
Given the relatively modest 209bhp, its 6.9-second 0-62mph time was impressive, if not class-leading, but it was the way the Accord Type R made you feel and its breadth of ability that was central to its appeal. This was Japan’s answer to the BMW M3.
Honda Accord Type R: key specs
Engine: 2.2-litre 4cylPower: 209bhpTorque: 215NmTransmission: Five-speed manual, front-wheel drive0-62mph: 6.9 secondsTop speed: 142mphOn sale: 1998-2002
The all-time best fast Hondas
1. Honda NSX 1990-20052. Honda Civic Type R 2017-date3. Honda Civic Type R 2001-20054. Honda S2000 1999-20095. Honda Integra Type R 1995-20016. Honda Accord Type R 1998-20027. Honda Civic Type R 1997-20008. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20109. Honda CR-X VTEC 1989-199210. Honda S800 1967-1970
Fast Hondas Special
- • The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- • Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- • New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- • Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- • Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- • Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- • Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- • WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1IntroductionHonda has a heritage rich in performance but which are the best ever fast Honda cars? Our top 10 countdown rates the living legends
- 21. Honda NSX The NSX was Honda's first ever supercar and is also first on our list
- 32. Honda Civic Type R 2017-dateThe latest Honda Civic Type R grabs 2nd spot in our all-time greatest fast Hondas round-up
- 43. Honda Civic Type R 2001-2005The first Honda Civic Type R to be sold officially in the UK sits 3rd in our greatest Hondas list
- 54. Honda S2000Honda's free-revving S2000 roadster was a hit with owners and comes 4th in our best fast Hondas list
- 65. Honda Integra Type R 1995-2001The hardcore Honda Integra Type R takes 5th place in our all-time fast hondas top 10
- 76. Honda Accord Type R 1998-2002 - currently readingHonda's Accord Type R takes 6th place in our greatest fast Hondas top 10
- 87. Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000The original Civic Type R never came to the UK officially but it still takes 7th in our best fast Hondas list
- 98. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20108th place in our top 10 best fast Hondas list goes to the 2007 Honda Civic Type R
- 109. Honda CR-X VTEC9th place in our top 10 greatest fast Hondas goes to the Honda CR-X VTEC
- 1110. Honda S800At 10 in our top 10 fast Hondas is the S800 roadster.