Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
Price: £46,950Engine: 3.0-litre six-cylinder turboPower: 345bhpTorque: 700Nm0-62mph: 4.6Top speed: 173mph
Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol. The Alpina D3 is the world’s fastest diesel powered production car, thanks to a twin-turbo 3.0-litre six-cylinder engine developing 345bhp and 700Nm of torque. It’s headline figures read 0-62mph in 4.3 seconds and top speed of 173mph, but drive it cautiously and you should be able to return up to 53.3mpg.
It’s based on BMW’s 335d but the single turbo has been swapped for two smaller units and a bigger intercooler helps boost power by 32bhp. The Alpina is an amazingly accomplished piece of kit, merging blistering acceleration with composure and refinement on the move.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3 - currently readingFast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS
- 11Tesla Model S P90DThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet