Cool cars: the top 10 coolest cars in the world revealed
Our cool cars poll has revealed the top 10 coolest cars in the world according to you. And here they are…
Following a poll of some of the most informed people around - AutoExpress readers - here are the results: it's the 10 coolest cars ever! But what does it mean for a car to be cool? Well it's not an exact science, as you might imagine, and everybody's opinion is different.
The cool cars here are the ones that took pride of place as posters on bedroom walls, or these days can be found gracing the backgrounds or wallpapers on computer or smartphone screens. They have an ageless quality that puts them down as instant classics, but there's something more to them that helps their cool cause. It can be down to looks, its achievements, the technology on board, or even the performance, there's no fixed definition of what makes a car cool.
A motorsport connection is a sure-fire good way of earning cool status. While plenty of cars get a sporty makeover in the quest for sales, the cool cars are the ones that have the racing or rallying pedigree that justify their existence. A limited production run that's designed to meet a homologation requirement - like the uber-rare Lancia Stratos, only ramps up the cool factor further, while cars that are little more than thinly disguised racing cars with number plates also deliver a cool factor that few others can match. The inherent risk of danger that is associated with motorsport also promotes the image of cool surround cars bred for speed.
The car's model name can also be crucial to its image. Something like a Shelby Cobra conjures up connotations of a deadly animal, although the exception to this would be Ferrari - who seem to get by just fine with mere numbers.
There could even be a celebrity connection - the cool factor of somebody famous is likely to rub off on whatever they drive, just look at film star Steve McQueen. If it wasn't for the car chase in the movie Bullitt, would the Ford Mustang be as revered as it is?
Understatement can also give a car the cool factor. While other cars look big and brash with a real 'look at me' attitude, some cool cars are more reserved, and don’t need to shout about their presence. Whether it's classically elegant lines or simply a look that doesn't make a song and dance about a car's potential performance, subtlety is another way to collect cool points. The sheer price tag can be enough to convince some of a car's coolness, but the one thing we know for sure is that ‘cool’ is highly subjective and defining it can be very tricky.
So, without further ado, here are the cars that made our top 10, as voted for by users of autoexpress.co.uk. Click the links below or at the top left of this page to find out more about the world’s coolest cars.
Top 10 coolest cars in the world
- Citroen DS
- Jaguar E-Type
- Lancia Stratos
- Land Rover Defender
- Lamborghini Miura
- Lotus Esprit
- Porsche 911
- Audi Quattro
- McLaren F1
The cool cars that just missed out
Our poll of over 6,000 Auto Express readers revealed the top 10 coolest cars in the world but many super-cool vehicles missed the cut. Below are the models that placed 11th to 25th in the poll.
11. Ferrari 288 GTO
12. Mercedes-Benz 280 SL Pagoda
13. Volkswagen Golf GTI
14. Fiat 500
15. Range Rover Classic
16. Alfa Romeo Spider
17. BMW E30 M3
18. Ford Capri
19. Nissan Skyline R34
20. Toyota 2000 GT
21. AC Cobra
22. Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
23. Aston Martin Lagonda
24. Dodge Challenger
25. Mazda Cosmo
Tell us about any cool cars you think were overlooked in the comments section below…
- 1Introduction - currently readingOur cool cars poll has revealed the top 10 coolest cars in the world according to you. And here they are…
- 21. Citroen DSOur coolest car of all time is the Citroen DS, a technological masterpiece with styling to match
- 32. Jaguar E-TypeThe most beautiful car ever made? Perhaps, but the Jaguar E-Type is certainly one of the coolest
- 43. Lancia StratosConcept car looks and rally-winning performance to back them up - the Lancia Stratos is so cool
- 54. Land Rover DefenderBritish and unbeatable off-road, the rough and ready Land Rover is an institution of cool
- 65. Lamborghini MiuraThe first supercar, Lamborghini’s Muria is drop-dead gorgeous and beast on the road. A cool car that set the Lambo template
- 76. MiniSmall cars weren’t cool but the Mini made it so with its blend of practical, accessible fun forged in the swinging sixties
- 87. Lotus EspritThe Lotus Esprit encapsulated seventies cool with a little help from 007
- 98. Porsche 911The driver’s choice in the cool cars list, the Porsche 911 is an icon of design and engineering
- 109. Audi QuattroThe Quattro made 4x4 cool and Audi never looked back - a rally legend for the road
- 1110. McLaren F1McLaren invented the hypercar with the F1 and raised the performance bar out of sight of rivals