Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
Price: £60,700Engine: 4.0-litre 8cyl turboPower: 503bhpTorque: 650Nm0-62mph: 4.1 secondsTop speed: 155mph
With a meaty twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8 bellowing out more than 500bhp, and an old-school rear-wheel-drive chassis, the AMG C63 S is possibly best described as a wolf in wolf’s clothing. A discreet wolf perhaps, although with a subtle bodykit, quad exhaust pipes and 18-inch alloy wheels the C63 definitely stands out to fast Merc fans. Inside, sports seats and a grippy steering wheel are the only obvious differences from standard C-Class models, which means it’s a luxurious four-passenger compact executive model just like the rest of the range.
Since the hot saloon dropped the old 6.3-litre V8, the potential economy has shot up from 23mpg to 34.5mpg, but a V8-powered AMG Merc is still going to cost an arm and a leg to run. Otherwise, it’s hard to fault.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63 - currently readingAnyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS