Best used MPVs
The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used MPV: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso
Prices from: £6,000Our pick: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2014 (14) 1.6 e-HDi Exclusive ETG6, 63,900 miles, £7,995
While an update has seen the model replace Picasso with SpaceTourer in its name, it’s exactly the same MPV under the skin with a bit more kit. Subsequently it makes sense as a used model, because space inside is the same, too.
It’s based on Citroen’s EMP2 platform, so there’s plenty of passenger room, and the third row has enough space for short journeys. Kids will be fine for a longer trip thanks to the fairly comfortable ride – although as with many EMP2-based models, it does bounce and crash a little over broken tarmac.
Second row seats that slide and fold individually mean you can customise the cabin layout, while the dashboard features a futuristic twin-screen set-up. However, this is now a little dated and often slow to respond compared with more modern systems. The huge windscreen means visibility is great, too.
A 165-litre boot with all seats in place is enough for a few shopping bags, while in five-seat form between 632 and 793 litres of luggage room is available. That’s thanks to those sliding seats, which make this one of the most versatile people-movers at any price.
While diesel isn’t a popular new choice, Citroen’s 113bhp 1.6 e-HDi engine has been thoroughly developed, so even in conjunction with the smooth but sluggish six-speed automatic, it’s economical. In comparison, the manuals aren’t that nice to use.
Factor budget in, and with four-year-old cars in high-spec Exclusive trim going from around £8,000, there isn’t a better MPV for the money.
Styling: Space-age looks inside and out mean the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso still looks sharp today
Interior: Roomy cabin has decent space even in seven-seat mode, and large glass area makes it feel spacious.
MPVs aren’t fashionable, and a relatively low demand even on the used market means low monthly finance prices.
For just £159 a month on a PCP deal you can have the best used people-carrier there is.
If it’s a simple case of the most practicality for the least outlay, then look no further. There’s plenty of choice on BuyaCar.co.uk’s website, too.
SEAT Alhambra Mk2
The Alhambra has one feature that many seven-seat MPVs rivals don’t – sliding rear doors. These give great access to the interior, while a choice of strong VW Group petrol and dependable diesel engines mean it’s a solid choice.
It wasn’t a sales success, but with prices for a V6 diesel R350 CDI starting from £4,750, the R-Class is a practical, premium choice with an individual image. Mercedes even made an R63 AMG version which featured a 500bhp 6.2-lite V8 - if you really want to frighten the kids.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVs - currently readingThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018