Ferrari 812 Superfast - best rear-wheel-drive cars
Latest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
Many of Ferrari's greatest hits have been front-engined and rear-wheel drive, and the latest 812 Superfast gives a nod to its ancestors, as Superfast is a name from Ferrari's back catalogue.
This is the successor to the F12berlinetta, and it has the biggest V12 naturally aspirated ever fitted to a Ferrari road car, and it packs a massive 789bhp, making it the most powerful naturally aspirated engine ever made. This gives the Superfast a 0-62mph time of 2.9 seconds, aided by standard-fit launch control and a paddleshift gearbox with plenty of F1-inspired technology on board. Top speed is 221mph.
With the big V12 set well back in the chassis, and the two seats almsot in line with the back wheels, this is all about rear-wheel traction. Putting all the weight back like this boosts grip, meaning that 0-62mph should be entirely achievable, although possibly not in the wet.
- 1IntroductionRear-wheel drive is supposed to be the drivetrain layout that delivers the most fun. Here are 10 cars that do exactly that
- 21. Mazda MX-5It's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
- 32. Porsche 718 BoxsterIt's the entry point to the Porsche range, but the Boxster is still a hugely entertaining machine
- 43. Toyota GT86Toyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
- 54. McLaren 570SMcLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
- 65. Ferrari 812 Superfast - currently readingLatest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
- 76. Porsche 911It's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesExecutive saloons don't deliver such driver-focused ability as the 5 Series
- 98. Jaguar XECompact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
- 109. BMW M4 Coupe Competition PackA mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
- 1110. Mercedes-AMG C 63Heavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive