Ford Focus RS
Price: £31,000Engine: 2.3-litre 4cyl turboPower: 345bhpTorque: 440Nm0-62mph: 4.7 secondsTop speed: 165mph
The Ford Focus ST delivers a lot of bang for your buck. Sure, it’s a bit unruly, with its rabid turbocharged 4cyl barking away and occasional torque squirm on bumpy roads, but that only adds to the fun. And it’s easy to forgive these flaws when you factor in the Ford’s sharp handling and bargain price. Even better, its every bit as practical as a standard Focus, meaning this is a performance car you can live with day to day.
But sometimes, you need a little extra, and that’s when the Focus RS roars in. Designed to offer pretty much unbeatable performance on a typical British B road, it uses a Cosworth-modded four-cylinder motor from the Ford Mustang to do just that. With four-wheel-drive and a high performance suspension set-up, the Focus RS is one of the best-handling fast Fords ever – and it costs significantly less than the Mercedes-AMG A 45 and Audi RS3 to boot.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS - currently reading
- 11Tesla Model S P90DThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet